Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Old 08-13-2005, 10:15 PM

Default HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and have come here in search for answers. I shoot a 2005 Bowtech Defender VFT 28.5" draw, 66# bow w/Easton ST axis 340's, 100 grain tips, trophy ridge dropzone rest, string loop, tru-fire release, and tru-glo site. I have had an impossible time paper tuning my bow. I was shooting a whisker biskuit and constantly had a upwardright tear in the paper from as far out as 10 yards. I tried every adjustment possible and could not get anywhere close to a "bullet hole" Today I switched to a trophy ridge dropzone hoping that would help me solve the problem. No luck, instead my problem is even worse!!! If I paper tune at 10ft I get a right tear that is almost 3"long !!! No matter what adjustment I make to the rest I can't shrink the tear. I've tried shooting Axis 400's w/no change. I've tried 125 grain field point w/no change. I've moved the nock up and down over a full in w/no change. i've moved my rest left and right over it's full adjustment range w/minimal change. I've experimented w/my grip and can make the tear worse but not better. My arrows appear to fishtail badly but I can't fix it!! The oddest thing is the nock is properly set, (per bowtech's technical department @ "0" on my square) the arrow is centered from left to right and the fletchings don't appear to contact anything. Any changes I makedon't have any effect on my tear. They should but they don't!! ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

sounds like your timing is off.i don't know if you have bow press or not but check your manual and see where your timing is supposed to be.or you can download it off bowtechs site.how new is this bow?after about 50 to 100 shot the new string and cable stretch a little bit and you have to put some twists back in them.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:02 AM

My cams have timing marks on them and both are within the manufacturers marks. I have shot the bow heavily probably 15-20shots/day average since february when I purchased it.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take it back to the shop you bought it from and see what they think. I'd say it was contact somehwere, but if you changed rest, I'm confused.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:46 PM

I thought it was contact too which is why I went to the drop away rest to eliminate that. I took it back to the shop and they said theye's no reason it should be doing the fishtailing. I wonder about my arrow spine according to easton's chart 340's are a bit heavy. 400's are what I should shoot. Could this cause the extreme fishtailing?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:12 PM

BowTechs seem to like a bit stiffer arrow than the easton chart says. Make sure the launcher arm is not dropping too soon on the DZ. You should be fine with the 340's.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took it back to the shop and they said theye's no reason it should be doing the fishtailing.
I'd take it back and ask them if they could at least help with the problem since you did spend at least $700 at their shop.
Nontypical Buck

I took it back to the shop and they said theye's no reason it should be doing the fishtailing.
I'd take it back and ask them if they could at least help with the problem since you did spend at least $700 at their shop.
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

You might also want to check your axle to axle length.My Allegiance was in the timing marks on the cams,but the axle to axle was off.The Binary cams are working,keeping the cams in time,but your axle to axle could change even though the cam marks are in time.You can also try a lighter point in the arrows,or heavier point at the same length arrow,just to see if the arrow spine is soft,or stiff.I would also recomend taking the bow back if you cannot get it to tune.Any shop that wants your business will work to get the bow shooting,if not,then find another shop!!!

Quick Reply: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.