Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Old 08-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Also make sure you are *not* canting the bow in any way, shape, or form or applying any torque at anchor.. VERY easy to do ona short bow like that. This will cause goofy tears.
My thoughts were somewhat along the line of what Jeff posted. Short bows are definitely more finicky of shooting form than longer ones. I would be curious to see if you had the same problems with an Allegiance or Old Glory.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 AM

Well, I've been working on my grip and things are slowly improving. Now I have about a 3/4" right tear @6 ft. This is much better from my previous 4"right tear. Yes the other bowtech dealer I went to was much more helpful and I'll stick with him. Yes I did take the cable slide off for that picture so the rod would be easier to see.
When talking about grip height (high, mid, low) is that just your hand position on the grip? If so I would think I have a "high" grip because my hand is pressed into the bend of my grip. Is any one grip style better for short A to A bows or is it just personal preference. Also is there a book or internet site that shows hand positions and how they should be? My arrows group very well now (1" @20yds) but my broadheads are still off (Left 2"). Is this still just a sign of me torquing the bow a little? Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:11 AM

My experience with my OG is that it is VERY sensitive to grip. A couple of the staff shooters up here say the same thing. I really have to work to keep my grip consistant, butwhen it is, bingo. Now, I had some issue getting my TT to shoot paper really well. I went with a Bodoodle and it really dialed in. Arrow flight was visibly better, as well as on paper. This work was all done at my dealer's shop. He and I tried all types of different combinations. We both changed rests, arrows, releases, grip. The one cool thing was that with the Bodoodle rest, any combination of arrows, GT22's with a 50 grain tip, 7595 with a 125 gr. tip, and even some 2413's flew great out of this bow. I really was sold on that Bodoodle, the Pro-lite model. You might think about trying one out. It really made my tuning much easier, and the bow MUCH more forgiving.
JMAC
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last bow was A Reflex Grizzly and I also had a nasty tear I could not tune out. I eventually took off the molded plastic 2 pc grip that it came with and "BINGO" instant bullets. Grip is that important. I hate to say it but maybe that bow is just not the right one for you. I would not give up yet but you have to live with it not me. One size does not always fit all.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try paper tuning at 3 feet and see what happens. A 10feet the arrow is in some serious ossicallation. No need to paper tune futher than 3 or 4 feet in my opinion. Oh and how are your groups at 20 yards. Alot of guys get stuck on paper tuning even though they are shooting 3 inch groups. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:43 PM

My groups @20yds are better now than they have ever been. If I shoot a good group it's now about a 1"grouping @20yds. Also I've been working more on my grip and finally yesterday bullet holed one. After getting my grip down I went and tried my broadheads to compare w/my fieldpoints and the flight was almost right on. They his about 1" left of my field points @30 yards. To me this seems very good and my frustrations are all but over. How about others out there, what kind of groupings are typical and how do your FIXED blade broadheads compare?