Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Default RE: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

medic, what state are you in? I think you need to find another Bowtech dealer or call Bowtech direct again. That whole cable rod thing has me doubting their sanity. If they used epoxy and the rod is not lined up correctly, you are screwed. Did you have the nock right tear problem before they glued the rod? If yes, then there is something else going on. If not, then maybe it is putting pressure on the cables and cams causing it to be out of tune. Regardless, I would call Bowtech and tell them what has happened. Hopefully they will send you another bow and have a talk to that pro shop owner. That is ridiculous to start band-aiding a brand new $600 bow.

To answer your question, my cable rod comes out parrallel to the riser. It did come loose after a few practice sessions but I just had to tighten the set screw.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Site Bouncer

This is just a suggestion because I'm not sure if Bowtech offers different lb limbs like other companies do. If they do, it might be possible you have two different lb limbs? This would most certainly cause your problems as stated.

Can't hurt to check.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Try sending BowTechShooter(Pat) an e-mail.Maybe he could get BowTech to help you.What State are you in?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 PM

Can you post a picture of your cam's rotation and cable slide?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:41 AM

Well, here I go again. For those asking I'm in Michigan. I contacted Bowtech's tech support line yesterday. They told me not to worry and that they would take care of me no matter what they needed to do. (whew). They said to take it to a different bow shop and have them look at it. So last evening I took it to a different dealer and he immediately saw several small things that could be my problem. He reset my nock and center shot. Made my dropzone come to full rize just a touch earlier. Changed my string loop and then had me shoot the bow. The arrows no longer visibly fishtailed but we still had my inevitable right tear in the paper tune test. After experimenting with a few grip styles I couldn't get the tear to go away. We added a wrist sling and still the tear remained. The shop owner tried shooting my bow and still had a right tear. Then he had his other employee shoot the bow (apparantly a long time PSE shooter) Bullet hole on his 1st try!!! He shot 5 more arrows all w/perfect shots. He worked w/me on my grip but still I got the right tear. He said it would just take practice for me to shoot it properly. So now I'm back to square 1. Is this a common experience for you guys? What if I'm not ever able to shoot it properly? I've never had a problem w/other bows so why this one? Just a few questions on my mind. Thanks for the input. Also I'm trying to load a pic of my cable rod so you can see it. I checked another defender in the shop and it's rod also angled out to the right.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 AM

medic, I'm glad you found a dealer that took more time to work with you on your bow. You should stick with him.

When you said the cable rod was angled to the right, I invisioned something more drastic than that. Mine is the same way as your picture indicates. I do have one question though. Did you take the cable slide off to take the picture? I don't see it on there. I hope you are shootig with it on as that would probably be your problem.

What release are you using? Did the dealer and the employee use your release? Did you look at the way they were gripping the bow and their follow through? The way you are gripping the bow and your form could be causing the tear right but I would think it would be a very apparent problem. I would just be grabbing at straws without actually seeing you or a picture of you at full draw.

As far as your other bows go. The Bowtechs and a lot of newer bows have much smaller grips. Maybe you just need to find the right spot and get used to it. Could be your form was always bad like mine was. My pro shop owner gave me some lessons and although it has taken a couple of months to get used to it, my shooting has improved.

PS - Nice toenail! MUHAHAHA!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 AM

Thanks for posting the pic,, now,,, move your arrow rest in so the launcher is as close to the riser as you can get it but still be able to make adjustments. Looks like an overdraw from the past, the way it's set now!!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are trying a high wrist grip , the new bowtechs dont like it , they want a mid grip .
Old 08-17-2005, 12:25 PM

I shoot with a high wrist,, actually a straight wrist and get Excellent arrow flight and accuracy. I can also shoot healing the grip and get the same arrow flight and accuracy,, but the string bites my forearm a little..
Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also make sure you are *not* canting the bow in any way, shape, or form or applying any torque at anchor.. VERY easy to do ona short bow like that. This will cause goofy tears.

Quick Reply: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.