Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Old 08-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

for $hits and giggles just try a lighter spine.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Ken, I'm not sure what you mean by my axle to axle changing. I don't see how that's possible other than from a little string stretch. Are you talking about the tiller? Also I have tried a lighter spined arrow (a Gold tip 4575) with the same results. I looked at my cams this evening while my brother in law held it back at full draw. The top cam seems to be leaning to the left at full draw. When let down it seems to be perfectly inline. The bottom cam seems in line no matter what. Could cam lean cause this fishtailing?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Call me a pessimist but considering what you have gone through I wonder if the issue might be more serious than just the setup. I don't want to give the impression that I am jumping the gun but is it possible that there might be a problem possibly with the construction of the bow itself? Possibly a limb not seated properly in the limb pocket oran axle not properly set in the cam?

Call Bowtech's customer service directly. Relate your problem and what you have done to correct it. See what they have to say.

Just my thoughts though it could very well be something that one of the others suggested.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:37 PM

You MUST have at least 1 inch between the inside of your riser and the top center or your arrow while on your rest. Some say even more center shot is necessary. My Allegiance is shooting EXTREMELY good at 1 1/16 inches.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 PM

medic, the problem I found with my Defender was the center shot. I don't see anywhere in this thread that you had the center shot setup correctly. A lot of the rests do not have enough left adjustement for the Binary Cam system. Double check that before you throw your bow. If your rest won't move left enough, which I'm guessing is the problem, buy a different rest. I'm using the QAD Ultra Rest and it is working great. QAD includes a spacer just because of the Bowtechs. It will move the rest out another 3/16". Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

The axle to axle can change when BOTH the string and cables stretch.My brother has a Defender,and is shooting it with a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone rest.He hasn't had any problems with tearing tail left,or tail right,He had trouble with point high tears,he solved this problem with cutting his arrow length down,this making his arrow stiffer.He is shooting a bullet hole with his Defender now.Make sure you have center shot before you try anything else.After setting center shot to center,then try different spined arrows.You might have to buy different arrows for this bow compaired to your old bow.Just because the arrow chart says this or that arrow,don't mean there is something wrong with your bow because it won't tune that particular arrow.With the Binary cams,they WILL stay in time,even if your string and cables stretch,thats what they are suppose to do.Hope this helps,if you cannot get the bow to tune,then take the bow to a good proshop,they should be able to find an arrow that will tune and shoot.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure you are not torquing the grip? Have someone else shoot it through paper to confirm this.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM

I have readjusted the center shot repeatedly and played with all adjustment from all the way left to all the way right and anywhere inbetween. I received an email from Bowtech's customer service today and they advised that I reset my centershot as well. Sooooo I went out this evening and did exactly that. I reset it to 15/16" from the riser (their specification) and played with it both left and right of that setting. No change. I am inclined to agree with PABowhntr that something is wrong with the bow itself. Also as a note I took the bow to a different dealer (not the one I purchased it from) and had him try to tune it. he was unable to do so and had no idea why. Everyone keeps telling me it's a setup problem but I can't see how that can be after I've tried EVERY mark on my left/right adjustment. I also purchased a lighter spined arrow and it did the same thing. Help!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Also for those of you who have defenders please look at a couple things for me. My cable guard kept coming loose despite my efforts to tighten the set screw. I took it to my Bowtech dealer and they used epoxy to set the rod. Now it aims out to the R side of the bow. It is not parallel to the riser. Are your cable rods parallel to the riser? My buss cable pull at quite an angle as my cable guard slides. I think this is canting my cam, but everyone keeps telling me it's my setup.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been in the same bind and the only repair was a rest that provided more arrow guidence than a drop away could provide. With your "dual cam" bow and level nock travel you shouldn't need any more than a drop zone can provide.
Since two Bowtech dealers couldn't help you out of this messI feel it's time for Bowtech to step up to the plate and help you out.

This thread is gonna lay on my brain because the defender was on my list of bows to look at next year ifI decide to bow shop again.

Quick Reply: HELP tuning nightmare w/bowtech defender

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.