Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HOW MANY OF U SHARPEN UR BROADHEADS??

Old 08-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HOW MANY OF U SHARPEN UR BROADHEADS??

Art,
Tell ya what I'll dig up a Thunderhead blade and sharpen it up old school style and send it to you for evaluation........The hard part will be rounding up a package to ship it in that is safe enough for the postal service to handle.

It's really not a lie either.......the blades after running them on 200 grit backwards onlyon each side get a sort of thin edge that starts to flop back and forth then you switch to the 400grit until it falls off entirely and when it does, it falls off in a sprinkle of metal flakes and what you are left with kinda makes you go WHOA. [:-]Then it's one swipe each side on the fine grit VERY lightly to clean up the edge and just stay out of your own way trying to handle them.
It's no joke.

I think I have the grit numbers corect, but it's been a while?When theguy that tought me how to sharpen them showed me I felt like I was passed some secretancient far eastern disciplineor something ......or at least similar to black magic. They are wicked.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:30 AM

I enjoy the process of keeping all my edged tools sharp. I've found that a good ceramic whet stone is perfect for bringing the edge back to broad head blades.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believed you, Matt. Just jerking your chain. hehehe
Old 08-29-2005, 12:05 PM

I like to clamp my Muzzy blades in my Lansky jig and strop them VERY lightly with the finest stone in the kit. Just VERY light pressure about 5 times on each side, then 3 times on each side, then two times on each side, like I'm shaving a sliver off the stone,,,,,,then hunt
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always sharpen my stingers, the blades are hard enough to hold a good edge for a while.

arthur: what kind of heads are you referring to that you can buy a half dozen of??
Old 09-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quite a few years ago when I was shooting cut on contact heads I sharpened mine but since switching to replacement blade heads, both exposed and expandable, I haven't seen the need.