Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning Broadheads!!

Old 08-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning Broadheads!!

Paper tuning is great if your shooting at foam. It gets you really close, but is a starting point for broadheads IMO.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:51 PM

foc target or 3d 7% for me.foc for bad to the bone muzzy 12%.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

FMARC, first and most important is to bare shaft tune your bow with the arrows you will be using to hunt tipped with target points matching the weight of your broadhead. If your arrows are matched to your draw weight and draw length your broadheads will fly and impact itentical to your field tips. Oh, another important tip, make very sure that your arrow are straight. A good practice is to set aside new arrows just for hunting and keep them just for the hunt. Use other for practice and 3-D shoots.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:13 PM

You paper tune and move your arrow rest position or nockset height to shoot bullet holes,
Now your going to move it again to adjust for broadhead flight, well you just screwed up your paper tuning. Am I correct? They both can't be right. Just wondering about this. It's like you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Wells, what you you rather do? Shoot perfect holes in paper or hit what you're aiming at?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:00 PM

Ok guys just shot all 6 of my bh's 2 out of the 6 shot well.. the other 4 all shot 1-2in low. so what would u do??

1. adjust nock down?

2. get 4 good and 2 ?? then spin test the arrows

3. move sight down??

let me hear it !!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:14 PM

Check f.o.c first.Then check how broadhead lines up with fletching.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:20 PM

MY F.O.C is 8.3 i thought lining up your fletchings had zero impact on flight??? cr@# now im going to have to find that link huh...
Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forget about the lining up with fletchings thing. It's a bunch of bunk.

I suspect that the four that fly not so good do not spin perfect. I bet there is just a bit of wobble to them or the blades may be slightly bent if you have shot them a number of times..

If they all spin perfect and the blades are straight then the next step would be to move your nocking point down in very very small incraments. I'm not a believer in the thought of not having your broadheads and field points impacting the same spot and simply moving your sight.

8.3% is pretty low IMO for a hunting shaft. You may want to fletch with feathers to get the rear of the arrow lighter to increase the FOC or seriously consider a heavier broadhead as long as it won't make the spine of the arrow to weak.

You might want to post your bow, draw length, draw weight, arrow length, which arrow you are shooting, the arrows spine #, and broadhead weight.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 AM

Bigbulls,

the flight of the arrows is great!!! just hit alittle low. some could be just spinning them,but for the most part they are pretty smooth.. i did the FOC CALULATOR SO THATS WHAT IT GAVE ME,, 70# 28in vapor 4000 @ 29 1/4 100grn buzzcuts
Old 08-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you may need to lower your nock point or raise your rest slightly , 1/32-1/16 of an inch .

Quick Reply: Tuning Broadheads!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.