Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do - It - Yourself Fletching

Old 08-11-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Do - It - Yourself Fletching

I am seriously considering doing my own fletching because I shoot almost everyday and my vanes get destroyed quickly. It is getting too expensive to keep giving my arrows to the Pro Shop. Is doing your own fletching very difficult? What are the basic things that I need to get started? How much money do you think I'll be saving? I have no idea what to do but I want to give it a shot.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do - It - Yourself Fletching

It's hard to say how much money you could save because it's different for everyone. Some people might refletch 6 arrows every week while others may only replace an occasional vane or two. I started fletching my own last year and this is what I started with. Jo-Jan mono fletcher $38, tube of Bohning Fletch-Tite $3, bottle of Bohning SSR Arrow shaft cleaner $6, AAE Plastfletch vanes $9, pack of ultra fine sand paper $4. So about $60total tostartup.

I used an dull pocket knife to remove the old vane and scrape off all glue. Then I'd scuff the area with the sandpaper and rinse under water. I'd then soak the ends in the Bohning arrow shaft cleaner for the recommended amount of time, then rinse and air dry. Once dry I'd start fletching. Takes me about 30-45min per arrow to fletch all 3 vanes. I could probably cut that time down by switching glues but I've been happy with the results so far. If you pulled on the vanes with some pliers you'd rip the vanes before they'd pull off the shaft. lol
Old 08-11-2005, 02:42 PM

I just got started myself. Cost about as much as jeramyk said. But I think I need some practice. A few of the vanes came out real good and a few peeled right off. I guess I should try that shaft cleaner stuff. Also, jeramyk do you find that with the dull pocket knife you have a hard time removing the old fletch? Or is that where the sand paper comes in? Also how much glue should I use?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a couple vanes where I needed to use a razor blade to get the old fletch and glue off. I think the local pro shop must use the fast set glue which seems to be much like super glue. I'll usually use the knife or razor blade to get the blade as clean as possible, then feel with my fingers for any spots I missed. Then I'll clean with water and scuff lightly with the sandpaper, wipe them with a clothand then put them in the Bohning cleaner.

As far as glue, I like to run the glue the full length of the vane. I try not to put to much. Just enough to fill the 'U' shape of the vane.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:50 PM

I use an Arizona EZ fletch and can do about 4 arrows an hour. I use a dull knife and some mineral spirits to clean the old glue off. I never tried using the fine sand paper but will give it a try next time. Its saved me money and TIME running back and forth to the shop every week.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

OR....You could just shoot at a different spot on the target?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont look at fletching as a way to save money. I look at it as a way to customize MY arrows, and to tinker with different setups to get the optimum flight from MY arrows. Your local shop most likely wont do that.

I found fletching to be very easy. My setup consisted of a $30 jig and clamp, a $3 tube of fletch tite, a dozen arrow shafts, and a 100 pack of vanes.

Look towords fletching your own arrows if you want to make your arrow unique, and you want the convenience of being able to fix arrows when you need them. Keep using the shop if you want to save money. Because you WILL strip off perfectly good vanes trying something new. At least if you're any bit of a tinkerer like I am.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Spike

The Arizona E-Z Fletch is afforable and very easy to use.