Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

quieter bow

Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 AM

Default quieter bow

is there any more thing i can do to get my bow to be quieter,,i have string whiskers and 4 string leeches in it and they quiet it down quite a bit but it is still very loud i think,,specialy compared to my dads bow
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: quieter bow

If you don't have Limbsavers on that bow yet, that's the first thing I'd get done. String silencers only quiet the string, don't do anything to quiet the bow itself. Limbsavers take out the limb vibration and can make a huge difference on some bows. Then I'd take off at least one set of leeches, if not both. Taking off all those leeches would give you back around 8-12 fps of arrow speed.

I'd make sure the bow is within factory specs as far as brace height and axle to axle length. If the rigging has creeped and gotten slack, that can make a lot of excess noise.

Then I'd check cam timing and (if it's a dual cam) synchronization and get that right.

Then adjust the bow's tiller to fit your shooting style, so the limbs both recover from the shot at the same time.

And when you've got all that done, then give the bow a real good tune up.

Taking the bow down and giving it a thorough cleanup and lube job once every year or two can go a long way to making it quieter.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:53 AM

I AM NOT TAKING THE STRING LEECHES OUT,,the bow get much much LOAD without them,,i do have limbsavers on it and i did not think that they help much,,when i did take the leeches out though i notice it was the string vibrating very very bably,,that is why i doubled up on the leeches and i thing it is quiter than before
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 AM

sorry for the typeo should be louder not load,,
Old 08-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you've got that much string vibration, shooting arrows right at 10 grains per pound, then it sounds very much like your string/cables are not tensioned properly. That's why I said to check your brace height and axle to axle length against the bow's factory specs.

There is no way any bowstring should need that much rubber when the bow is set up properly, especially shooting that much arrow weight!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:12 AM

the bow is a one off for walmart made by PSE so i do not know what the spec are on the bow because they are not on the site if u can give me some time i can get to there forum and ask to see if i can get them
Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

PSESilverhawk,
If you want a quieter bow, you're going to have to get the male version, as the female one (that you apparently have) is never completely quiet for very long.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a stabilizer on it? If not, I'd suggest going with either the Sims modular stabilizer if you bow could use a little front weight, or the Sims X-coil if you'd rather have a lighter stabilizer. A stabilizer would also help with bow vibration/shock. But if all the buzzing is in the string and you already have a pair of whiskers and 4 leeches on the string, then there's something wrong with your bow or setup. It's also possible that it's not the string at all, but rather the cables making the noise. Try moving one of the sets of leeches from the string to the cables. Maybe you shoudl consider taking the bow to a archery shop and getting it a checkup, because there is no reason that your bow should be as noisy as you say it is. My Ally, which is quite a bit faster than your PSE, has a noticable thud with my light 380gr 3D arrows, and is whisper quiet with my 450gr hunting arrows. It has the Bowtech Hush kit on the limbs, cable guide rod and 2 squids on the string (each now missing 2-3 tentacles) and one on each cable. It also has a Sims X-coil stabilizer. If I were launching your 550gr tree trunks...er...arrows the only sound would be the arrow hitting the target.

Get thee to an archery shop!

Mike

Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looked up your bow. http://www.pse-archery.com/Services/bowspec16.htm

Brace height for your SilverHawk is 7 5/8". Axle to axle length is 43". Looks like it's a round wheel, steel cable bow with teardrop connectors and dacron string. Right? Didn't know anyone made such a rig any more. It's a throwback to what we were using 20-25 years ago.

Nothing bad about that though. That kind of bow killed plenty of game during their heyday. Personally, I think they're a lot more reliable and less prone to getting out of tune than bows using all-fastflight rigging.

That dacron string will creep and need periodic twisting to keep it's length right. Never succumb to the temptation to replace it with fastflight. A fastflight string will pop those teardrops off the cables.

Not much you can do to silence steel cables. Spray some foot powder on the cables where they cross over and see if they are slapping together when you shoot. If they are, you can wrap both cables with moleskin to cushion them and deaden the sound. Make sure you position the moleskin so it doesn't cram into the slide as the cables run through it on the draw!

Maybe get a set of Limbsaver cable guard silencers and set them where the slide will just contact them at brace height. In other words, you're using them as a stop to keep the slide from moving too far forward.

It also explains much about why you didn't notice any difference with the Limbsavers. It's not a high performance rig to start with, so there's not much work for the LS's to do.

One of your problems is the 2315's are w-a-a-y overspined for your bow. You'd be better served with 2215's, and you might as well get them cut to 30". You'd wind up with arrows running about 515 grains instead of 560 grains, which would gain you about 3 fps. Add that to the speed you'd gain if you can get the bow silenced without using the leeches and your performance would be much better. As it stands now, I doubt you're shooting over 190 fps, if that.

Get a vibration aborbing stabilizer, as drifrider suggests. If you've got the bow quiver mounted on the bow, take it off and see if that helps. Sometimes bow quivers make a lot of racket. Check all the screws and make sure they're all tight.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing... If you've got the cable guard mounted like it shows in the picture on PSE's site, with the dogleg down, rotate the thing so the dogleg is angled up. It will do a better job of keeping the cables seperated, give you better fletching clearance and will put less torque on the bottom wheel.

Quick Reply: quieter bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.