Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Often?

Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default How Often?

How often should you change the string on your bow, and what are the warning signs that you need a new string. The reason imasking this is because im thinking about getting a new string for my bow.
Its a martin cougar III (3) with the magnum limbs and fuzion cams. the string length is 86 1/2''. What would be a good string for me too get?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM

Default RE: How Often?

If it's got fuzion cams on it it's at least a couple years old, so I would say anytime now is a good time to upgrade strings.

I just recently had Winner's Choice strings put on my Jaguar and I couldn't be happier. They're a little expensive, but they're worth every penny IMO.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:03 PM

My opinion is depends on how much you shoot and weather or not you keep your string waxed, if you keep it waxed so it doesnt dry out it should last a couple years, I usually change mine every year but I shoot alot, the better string you get the longer they will last so remember cheaper isnt always better
Old 08-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Great advice here. I always change mine every other year. I had one start coming apart on the third year once, just before the opening day. After that, it seemed like the thing to do
Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

The stringnear the bottom cam is starting to come apart and its begining to freythe hole wayaroundboth cams. I guessing thats a good indicator that i need a new string.I havent been shooting it because im afraid the string might snapand take off half my face or something. Ive only been able to find one string listed as 86 1/2'' and thats a stock string from martin. Should i just order a string from martin or get a different one. I would like to get a quality string that willlast because i shoot a lot any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most manufactors recommend you change the string every five thousand shots, or once a year... I don't know anyone that counts their shots... Once a year should be fine.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

Rule of thumb for me waxed or not , every two years unless there is signs of unrepairable damage which in case should be replaced as soon as possiable and the bow should not be shot. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:34 AM

just my 2 cents, if you're a 6 day a week shooter, you ought to change them every 6 months. if you're not, once a year. if you're shooting 45# its not as important as if you're shooting 70#. some of the newer materials (452x or ultracam) won't give the warning signs that 8125 will. i see guys waxing down strings that look like fuzzy yarn made out of 8125 and shooting, but with 452x i wouldn't do this. its just not worth it.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Without knowing how often a person shoots I generally recommend every other year. That may be overkill for those guys who only shoot a month before the season each year and it may not be often enough for those folks who shoot every day of the week but it is a good average estimate for most bowhunters.