Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BroadHeads... Fixed or mechanical?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BroadHeads... Fixed or mechanical?

Though I think you will find folks who will argue the conventional wisdom of all the points made in the original post I tend to believe that most of them ring true. Expandable heads are no alternative to a well tuned bow but they can be exceptionally effective for a bow with alot of KE and respectable momentum.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:02 AM

If your bow is tuned and your shot placement is good the mechanicals will put the game down very quickely. I find a 1 1/4 inch mechanical to be very efficient on whitetail deer. You should use the style that you are the most comfortable with, the one you can shoot the most accurate.

Be for warned that shooting a deer is different than shooting a target. You can't duplicate the elevated heart rate when shooting targets. when a live deer is there your heart rate tends to go up and your routine might be completely different. some call it buck fever. what ever it is, it is one of the main reason's things don't always go as planned. when this happens to some that are really good shots on targets, they just can't believe that they could miss by that much, so they start to blame thier equipmnet for the miss. Ain't the equipment at all. it is the unknown element of the hunt, and not even you know how your going to react to the next deer within bow range.. good luck.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used fixed heads and have no reason to change. My favorite heads are Thunderheads and i've neverhad a problem getting them to tune with any set-up i've used. They fly great and do the job everythime if i do mine.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fixed broadheads, hands down. Mechanicals were designed for those who don't have the knowledge or time to tune their setup. Mechanicals have too many variables like the angle of the shot, bone or soft tissue impact and dramatic loss of energy on impact. Purchase a quality fixed broadhead and take the time to tune your equipment and you will have a more reliable setup. If you are like me and spend a good deal of time scouting and preparing for a hunt, the last thing I want to have is a broadhead that may not perform when the big guy is standing broadside at 20 yards.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though mech's will work no doubt (out of a well tuned bow), I've never seen the need to use them. If your bow is tuned properly, you can get any fixed blade head to fly great. IMO fixed has many advantages over mech.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mechanicals were designed for those who don't have the knowledge or time to tune their setup.
Yeah, and the compoind bow was designed for those that don't have the knowledge and time to learn how to shoot a real bow[]
Mechanicals have too many variables like the angle of the shot, bone or soft tissue impact and dramatic loss of energy on impact
Oh really, apparently so do some fixed heads according to this post!
I did get a nice 8 point with the Slicktricks but they cost me a really nice buck because of the short cutting plane which caused the head to kick off the deer and not penetrate.
Imagine that, a FIXED head kicking off of a deer. Hmmmm, thought it was only possible with mechs.BUT now we are hearing that short cutting plane fixed heads do the same thing!!! Now who do webeleive?Would it be possible that poor shot placement/selection might have something to do with the poor performance of some heads?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

Bottom line, compounds were invented because society wanted something hi-tech for archers, kind of like keeping up with the times, also companies found out that more people wanted to get into archery but lacked the time to effectivley use traditional equiptment almost like a quick fix, buy it sight it in and go hunting. Probably was a money thing. Sure it takes skill to use traditional but the same can be said for compounds. One is not better than the other, just 2 different ways to harvest game. Most of the older archer's started with traditional and mastered it, then compounds came out and it was a hold new world that opened up. Back to the topic there are to many fixed bladed heads that fly like field points to use mech, sure you get great bloodtrails, but the cons outway the pro's. Way to much energy is wasted when the blades open up. Why take the chance when you don't have to.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Site Bouncer

I have used both the Thunderhead 100's fixed and the Spitfire Pro 100's mechanical. I found no difference in the two other than the mechanical heads tended to have a better blood trail and the deer traveled less distance after the hit. They both flew the same and I had pass throughs with both and non-pass throughs with both. The ironic thing is the non pass through with the mechanical head went through both shoulders but didn't make it all the way out. The non pass through fixed head went through one side rib and got lodged in the opposite side rib and didn't come out at all. Both were shot at about the same distance 26 & 28yds respectively and both from my Browning Boss Tracker 70lb 33in draw 540grn arrows at about 260fpswith tons of energy!

I have yet to loose a deer with either or yet to damage a blade with either.

To me it's a coin flip. I think you should use what gives you the most confidence when in the field. For me, I will use the Spitfire Pro's only this year.