Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thunderhead 100 Modifications

Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thunderhead 100 Modifications

I just picked up six new Thunderheads this past weekend and I plan to use them for the PA deer season. They've worked well for me in the past, but I also have noticed that they tend to be 5-8 grains over the advertised 100 grain weight.

My question is, have any of you ever tried filing those extra 5-8 grains of thread off the back of the broadhead, or have you done anything else to reduce this weight? I may try it depending on how much thread I have to work with.

Fritz
Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thunderhead 100 Modifications

Nope... I have 125gr Thunderheads and now use them as a backup. They are known to fly a bit low, due to the increased grain weight compared to what they are advertised as. Read my thread on the review forum, as you'll see how I compared Thunderheads to Magnus Stingers to Slick Tricks.

I guess some guys tune their bows for Thunderheads (lower the nock point a hair) and go with that, but then don't shoot field tips at all during the season.

Butch A.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've thought about it. The o ring and retainer are where the weight is coming from so you would need to end up with a pile of shavings at least that big in equal amounts from each blade (You know what I mean). I don't think I could do that good of a job. I just think I'll keep poking comments in when I can and maybe someone who can do something about it, will.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I've weighed a lot of different broadheads and not very many of them weigh the exact advertised weight. They are typically very close (within a few grains). I think the more important thing is that they are all consistantly very close to the same weight.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Why bother ? If the heads you have all weigh the same or within a grain or two just adjust your shooting .
Old 08-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Why bother ? If the heads you have all weigh the same or within a grain or two just adjust your shooting .
I like to be able to shoot field tips and broadheads throughout the season and I considermy bow tuned only when broadheads hit the same spot as field tips. The first step to insuring this is to make sure all heads weight exactly the same.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over a 350-450 grain arrow, your shooting can tell 5 grains difference? I would think if they are not hitting the same its not the 5-8 grains, its something else.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

It may very well be. I have gotten the two to hit the same spot in the past, but the "flyers" always seemed to be field tip high and broadhead low. Anything I can do to have confidence in my equipment translates into confidence afield later. Call me anal retentive, but that's why it's a hobby......
Old 08-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mrfritz44

It may very well be. I have gotten the two to hit the same spot in the past, but the "flyers" always seemed to be field tip high and broadhead low. Anything I can do to have confidence in my equipment translates into confidence afield later. Call me anal retentive, but that's why it's a hobby......
Ok , but only since you insist ...

If the difference between your field points and the broadheads is only an inch or two it would be much simpler to adjust your shooting , you're still in the boiler with a diff that small . I also question whether it's the 5-8 grains or something else , have you inspected every part of your gear ? A 5-8 grain diff is pretty miniscule , that's literally 5-8 grains of wheat and wheat is pretty light stuff . Altering your broadhead is just asking for even more flight problems .

I shoot instinctive with a recurve and consider a 3" group pretty damned good if they're all in the kill zone . Sounds like you're sweating the small stuff . BTW , it's all small stuff .
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 AM

In a way, I understand what hes saying. I like to have both my FP and BH hit in the same exact spot, and Ive noticed that TH100s fly a little lower out of some bows. I can usually adjust this minor low hit out by moving the rest height up ever so slightly.

On my Ultratec, I have it spitting TH100s right in the bullseye out to 40 yds. but my FPs hit slightly high and left. Maybe 3" high, and 1-2" left. I tried everything to get it dead on, and they just wouldnt meet. So I sighted in to the TH100s and Im happy. My Xtec on the other hand,shootsTH100s andFPsin the same spot. Go figure?

Some of it may have to do with spine of the arrow, and how the longer BH changes the spine and length ever so slightly, and maybe it has to do with more drag due to blades. 6 grains is really not much, and some arrows are offby more than that.Whatever it is, I wouldnt worry about it. If you really cant sleep because of it, try to add weight to your FP's till they weigh 106 grains. Maybe just a small collar on the back.

Than you can practice with either or, and never have to change a thing.

---Matt

Quick Reply: Thunderhead 100 Modifications

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.