Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Butch's old bow (before and after)

Old 07-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Butch's old bow (before and after)

Hey there.... I just got back from the bow shop. I needed some new string silencers, since I was never happy with the "cat whiskers" kind (they kept sliding all around on me). I got frustrated andcut them all off the other day and tried to make my own string silencers out of some brown yarn from my wife's crochet stuff. Bad move... They didn't work too well either and frayed all apart after about the third shot! [:-] D'oh!!!

So, I brought my old '96 PSE Edge 1000C up to the bow shop to get it looked over and upgraded a bit with some new string silencers.

This is how my bow looked before: (Cat whiskers, X-ring stablizer, etc...)

The guy was really cool (also a lefty bowhunter like me) and loved my old bow saying that it is an "old school classic" that will just keep on shooting and stay in tune forever. He did comment on the X-ring stablizer though (i.e. what the heck is THAT? no no no no... get thatmetal piece of junk off of there!) I explained that I bought it at Wal-Mart and didn't know better at first. Anyway, long story short, he looked my bow over, and it's still 65#'s and still setup true and squarely aligned. But just needs to be quieted down a bit. So, he upgraded my old bow with the new styleString Leeches (my old slow bow will shoot these String Leeches for 1000-2000 shots before I have to replace them). And, he recommended a newS-Coil stabilizer from Limb Savers which will seriously take out any "twang-g-g-g-g-g" that is still felt in the old bow.

Here is what my old tried and true classic PSE-1000C bow looks like now:

This old bow is still going strong and I love shooting it. It is still accurate and so comfortable too. The guys showed me a brand new Hoyt lefty bow and I drooled over it. They told me to eventually upgrade to a new bow and make this old PSE a backup. Stick with a 35" or 36" ATA bow and not get a tiny ATA bow as that is what I am not used to at all and would require a bit of a learning curve to shoot it accurately.

Butch A.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Butch's old bow (before and after)

New bows are great and feel even better....However those old bows that killed deer years ago, still kill em today... looks good!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:23 PM

Was fiberglass invented yet when that bow was made, or is it made from Bison sinue?

Hey, just havin fun with ya buddy! As good as todays bows are, the old classics remind me of the Energizer bunny....they just keep going, and going .......and going.......................and going..................................and going.........................
Bow looks great!! How do you like the S-coil?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lookin good Butcha!
So how does it sound and feel after the upgrades?

Which Hoyt had ya drooling?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow guys.... My old bow is real QUIET!!! There is no "Twang-g-g-g-g-g-g-g" sound and no vibration in my hand after the shot. This is incredible! Why didn't I do this sooner?!?!?

The guys at the bow shop told me that as of now, and after the review/checkup on my bow, there is no more that can be done to it. It's performance is maxed out now. It is still set and will stay set for a long time.

The bow that I flipped over was a Hoyt Ultramag(?) split limb, 70# draw, lefty, beautiful model bow! It was amazing and so smooth to draw. I couldn't believe it was 70#'s. It was a part of a package deal and was (I think) $500 something bucks!
Old 07-30-2005, 03:00 PM

The Hoyt Ultra-Mag is the bow I shoot, and yes, it is unbelievable. The thing I like the most, I think, is that the performance is just as good as the high dollar bows. The Ultra-sport is the same bow without the carbon limbs and is some $80 cheaper. Again, the performance is the same. Hoyt has certainly done their homework.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good! The Ultra Mag is definately a solid performer and definately worth consideration.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:29 AM

I just soldmy 2004 ultra mag the other week. I loved the bow. Accurate and fun to shoot. I wanted a longer A to A for 3D. That is the only reason I got rid of it
Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Butch. Are those the original limb savers? It may be worth the $20 to check out the Ultras'. I could definitly tell a difference between them and the stealths I had on my Liberty.. and that Liberty was dead solid and whisper quiet already!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, those are the original round Limb Savers on the bow. They still work and do the job. Since I stuck the Limb Savers on a while back, I have no idea how to get them off!

Quick Reply: Butch's old bow (before and after)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.