Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Questions from a Novice

Old 07-29-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Broadhead Questions from a Novice

New bowhunter here, and I have been doing a lot of reading about fixed v. mechanical broadheads...and I am more than a little confused.

1.) Which do you prefer fixed or mechanical?

2.) If it is a fixed blade, do you recommend 3 or 4 blade broadhead?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 AM

Default RE: Broadhead Questions from a Novice

I prefer fixed blades, 3 blades (Thunderhead 100s to be exact).

If you have a setup pushing reasonable KEyou could go with a mech head. Some of them have really large cutting diameters which helps in tracking and recovery.

Dont fall into the trap that mechs will fly like a field point though. Most often they do, but that is something that must be checked. Agood fixed blade BH (squarely seated to the arrow) will also fly just like a fp out of most bows. And if not, its just a simple matter of tuning till it does.

Post your setup, and we could give you a better idea of what broadheads to look at.

Above all, make sure you shoot broadheads out of your bow. Afterall, they are what get loosed at living animals.

Take care, and welcome to the boards.----Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 07:03 AM

I would opt for fixed blade (in my case three blade Muzzys). I just don't trust mechanicals for cutting through bone on a consistent basis. As Mattiac said, however, whatever you choose, set some aside as practice heads and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. You don't want any surprises when you finally get that shot.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:49 AM

I prefer a fixed blade 4 blade. This is why.
Mechanicals burn lots of KE when they open, not that they don't fly well and kill deer, they do. But with todays quality fixed blade heads flying as well as they do, there is no reason anymore not to. Plus, fixed blade heads last longer in most cases. They are tough as nails and razor, razor sharp.
I choose a four blade because of "inches of slice". Let's say a deer is 10" deep, and if you shoot a 3 blade head and get a pass through you end up with 30" of slice. 40" with a 4 blade. The more you can get the animal to bleed the better, and more humane. I have not found any difference in flight characteristics of 3 blade vs 4, so I choose 4.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here is my setup:

Mathews Switchback 27.5" 60# w/ Loop & Kisser
Cobra Sidewinder 3-pin sight
APA Twister Safari rest
T.R.U.Ball Titan release
Carolina Lore Stabilizer (camo)
Trophy Ridge 'Ridge Hunter' Quiver
Carbon Express CX Maxima 250's (arrows cut to 27")

100 gr. field points

The August issue of Bowhunting World is advising fixed broadheads too, butI know a guy here who has killed 8 deer with WASP Jak-Hammers and swears by them. Confused, but leaning towards fixed broadheads. Thanks for the info of 3 v. 4 blades mobowhuntr.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

With your setup, I would lean more toward fixed blade broadheads. I've shot both, but prefer the confidenceI have with fixed blades. I've shot Thunderhead 125's for many years and just this year have switched to Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125's. They are well built, very sharp and fly great.

If you were shooting closer to 70#'s of draw weight, I'd say shoot whatever you want. But with 60#'s and a relatively short draw, I'd rather see you not take any chances and shoot a good quality fixed blade. The options are practically endless!

... Shockwave
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Nice setup!! At least you are starting out with some seriously quality gear. I have had "decent" success with the Jackhammers and deer, but with all the awesome short fixed blade heads, I wouldn't suggest a mechanincal for nothing these days. Try slick tricks, sonic heads, Rocket's ultimate steelheads, or something like that. You won't go wrong. BTW, I'm cursed with a 27.5" draw length too. If I could change anything about myself, it would be to have a longer draw length.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:24 PM

I would go with the fixed blade. (I use 90 gr. Muzzy, 4 blade.)

I agree with mobowhuntr, the more you cut the better.

I know guys who have shot the mechanicals and had good luck, and I know guys who have shot them and they didn't open or didn't pass-through. Fixed blade heads are always open.

Kev
Old 07-29-2005, 06:52 PM

For your setup, I would have to recommend fixed blade broadheads. You could probably get away with well-tuned mechs, but to be safe, stick with fixed. Infact cut-on contact might be best for those Michigan brutes you will be hunting.

I wouldrecommend Magnus 4-blade 100gr. stingers, or MagnusII 2 blade 100 gr. screw-ins.

Also, as was mentioned slick-tricks are good.

And dont overlook, Thunderheads, Muzzys, and Montecs!

Now you know what to look for, so go out and pick up a pack or two. Dont forget to set a few aside for practice, and keep a few razor sharp for the moment of truth. Good luck to you---Matt
Old 07-30-2005, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Mattiac

For your setup, I would have to recommend fixed blade broadheads. You could probably get away with well-tuned mechs, but to be safe, stick with fixed. Infact cut-on contact might be best for those Michigan brutes you will be hunting.

I wouldrecommend Magnus 4-blade 100gr. stingers, or MagnusII 2 blade 100 gr. screw-ins.

Also, as was mentioned slick-tricks are good.

And dont overlook, Thunderheads, Muzzys, and Montecs!

Now you know what to look for, so go out and pick up a pack or two. Dont forget to set a few aside for practice, and keep a few razor sharp for the moment of truth. Good luck to you---Matt
Thanks for the suggestions, fixed broadheads it will be. Seems like a common consensus for my setup. I will definately set aside some broadheads for practice....when I choose which one to get.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Questions from a Novice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.