Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gold Tip Cracking

Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Gold Tip Cracking

I have had these arrows for two years but they have not been shot at all until this Feburary. I was shooting them in my old hoyt at about 210 fps. I maybe shot them 80 to 100 times. I have been checking them closely for vane clearance and they were in great shape.
I have shot my new bow shooting about 276 fps for the last two days maybe 30 - 40 times each night. Tonight about half way thru I noticed about a 1" long crack back by the nock on one arrow. I checked all the others and they looked good. After a few more shots another one cracked. I checked the nocks they are not overtight I can still rotate them, they are not loose enogh to come out but loose enough I can still rotate them.

Anyone know whats going on?

They are 5575 Gold Tip XTs cut to 261/4" according to the spine chart I am OK. See my Signature for bow specs.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Gold Tip Cracking

They may be cracking because they are old. I used to have some Gold Tips, but gave them away. They are not very durable.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM

Mine have been great up till now, with my old bow I had some older Gold Tips that I put thru heck. I hit trees, rocks missed targets and stuck em into treesand none of them cracked. These were abused and had no problems, these are two years old but kept inside in a cool house in their box. I won thema certificate for them at a banquet last year, but rifle hunted instead, so they sat until this Feb.I cant imagine graphite degrading in those conditions.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:40 AM

You are probably underspined in my opinion. Pay no attention to Gold Tip's spine chart. It allows you to shoot a slightly weak arrow, which I do not believe is good when using broadheads. Also, if they have the older lok nocks, then I'd recommend replacing the nocks. They can be too tight and you'd still be able to turn them. Gold Tip quit offering the lok nocks because of the tendancy to overtighten them which causes the shaft to crack.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:58 AM

my old gold tip seem to work fine my new ones havnt been cut yet but thanks for the tip in the lock nocks
Old 07-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowhuntinoh

my old gold tip seem to work fine my new ones havnt been cut yet but thanks for the tip in the lock nocks
Ditto on the lock nocks. Stupid idea. You should use the 75-95 IMO they are much tougher.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

You are probably underspined in my opinion. Pay no attention to Gold Tip's spine chart.
I agree. I use only 7595 with the higher speed bows and I've only had one crack in 2+ years. It did bounce off one a rock and smack into a boulder, but hey, what can I say?!?

I shoot about 3 times a week and personally feel the 7595 GoldTips are keepers for durability.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:30 PM

I talked to the pro shop guy and he looked at my arrows and spotted the problem right away. My nocks did not sit in the arrow right, they were the old shorter style nocks that only contact the arrow at the front end of the nock and the back end. He said theysometimes wont sit perfectly straight with the arrowand lean a little. Looked at both cracked arrows and the nock did not sit flush with the end of the arrow. He said my new bow may have just had enough extra power to do it.I got the new nocks that are a lot longer almost twice as longand keep contact with the inside of the arrow all the way down. They said that this would fix it, I guess it was kind common with the old style nocks.

I could be under spined but due to my short draw length I am on the border of the 3555 and 5575(on the Gold Tips chart) So my spine SHOULD be ok.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:29 AM

I could be under spined but due to my short draw length I am on the border of the 3555 and 5575 (on the Gold Tips chart) So my spine SHOULD be ok.

That's why those charts are so misleading. If you're shooting a 5575 at 276 fps, then your bow is putting out a certain amount of energy. In fact, it's 66 fps more than your old Hoyt could put out with the same arrow. That kind of difference normally requires a stiffer spine.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:58 PM

I SHOOT THE SAME 55/75 AND THEY ARE CUT AT 28" IF I SHOOT A 100 GR. HEAD THEY FLY GREAT, IF I PUT A 125 HEAD THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE! YES U NEED 75/95 JUST AS I DO!

Quick Reply: Gold Tip Cracking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.