Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HOW MUCH HELICAL IS TO MUCH??

Old 07-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Default HOW MUCH HELICAL IS TO MUCH??

I Shoot a dropaway rest and am going to refletch my arrows,and want to know how much helical i should put on?? fixed blades as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:09 PM

Default RE: HOW MUCH HELICAL IS TO MUCH??

If you were shooting a prong style rest, helical would be a problem, but not so with a drop away. I would recommend as much helical as you can find. The more spin the better. Quick spins are a good alternative if you must fletch your vanes straight.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont get it. I'm limited to the helical radius of my clamp, no more, no less. I can throw in some offset too, but unless I can find a clamp with a more aggressive helical than I already have, its limited to what the clamp can do.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 PM

Yes. You are exactly right. Most manufacturers, however, make several different clamps.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:48 PM

You cannot get as much helical as you want. Each jig has a different degree of helical. You can adjust your jig so you get a little helical or a lot of helical. You are not limited to the clamp's helical; you are limited to the jigs helical. By that I mean you can put thearrow in the jig and put a vane on and get the given helical, or you canadjust the jig to get maximum helical.You can (at least on the Bitzenburger jigs) loosen two screws toadjust the jig to get a harder helical.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Unless I am mistaken, which, is possible, helical is the feather twisting around the arrow. There is now way you can move the jig to get the feather to twist, only offset. Or, do I need to admit my error?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in agreement with mobowhuntr. I think you can offset the helical clamp, but the degree of helical is fixed by the clamp. I don't think bitz makes different rh or lh helical clamps, one more aggressive than the other though.... Maybe when people are talking about more aggressive helical they are just talking about an offset... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dials on the bitz is to set the degree of offset, not the amount of helical....right? In other words... If I had a straight clamp, the dials on the bitz would be used to put an offset on it. adjusting them would not give me a helical fletch. can one make the statement that setting the dials when using a helical clamp that you are getting a more agressive helical? or would it be correct to say that its helical with an offset...
Old 07-25-2005, 09:06 PM

From what I understand, you want to know how to get a harder helical. On my Bitzenburger jig, there are markings on each side that you use to line up the jig. If you put the markings right on each other, you get an offset. If you put the markings 1/4" right of the other markings, you will get a hard helical.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I can see, I don't think your changing your helical. I don't think you can change your helical without physically bending or reshaping your clamp. But anywho...how did we get on this subject? I thought he was asking how much is too much on an arrow with a drop-away?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM

KING is right!! all that info was great but once again how mush is overkill..

Quick Reply: HOW MUCH HELICAL IS TO MUCH??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.