Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey Gibblet !

Old 07-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey Gibblet !

Question for John,

What do you think of speed nocks ? My OEM string on my Patriot had them and I was wondering if its worth putting some on the new string ? Hate to mess with things as I get bullets with both bare shafts and 3 blazers. But if its good for a couple fps then.........
Old 07-22-2005, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Hey Gibblet !

they are good for a couple fps. you're going to need access to a chronograph if you want to do it right. get an average speed through the chrono, then put 1 nock on - the ones with red inside - but don't squeeze it all the way, but enough to where it won't slide. get an average speed - then move it up and then down to find where you get your highest speed. then put another above it and get an average speed, and then move it to below the first one and see which position is fastest. finally when you've found that you're ready to apply the shrink wrap, which you'll need to slide over the end loop. i think it will shrink with a hair dryer, but i know a lighter works and scares the crap out of me. i'd try the hair dryer first.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

they are good for a couple fps. you're going to need access to a chronograph if you want to do it right. get an average speed through the chrono, then put 1 nock on - the ones with red inside - but don't squeeze it all the way, but enough to where it won't slide. get an average speed - then move it up and then down to find where you get your highest speed. then put another above it and get an average speed, and then move it to below the first one and see which position is fastest. finally when you've found that you're ready to apply the shrink wrap, which you'll need to slide over the end loop. i think it will shrink with a hair dryer, but i know a lighter works and scares the crap out of me. i'd try the hair dryer first.
FYI.....

The whole lighter thing scares me too. I use a brush on type stuff that is used to put on the serving area on a bow to protect the serving from releases attached directly on the string. It is rubbery by nature and comes in a bottle w/ a brush similar to nail polish. This stuff works great for this, I used it many times. I also screwed around with mine and the specs in the manual were right on for the best spot compared to the chrono I was using.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM

hey rick, you got the name of that stuff. i lose my mind wondering if somebody's string is going to snap. i've quit installing them. i send the nocks and shrink wrap because i just can't take it.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I left the shrink wrap off and haven't coated the nocks.
The specs for my bow in the manual were as good as it got also.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:54 AM

you guys are really starting to mess up my excuse for not doing it for people.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey rick, you got the name of that stuff. i lose my mind wondering if somebody's string is going to snap. i've quit installing them. i send the nocks and shrink wrap because i just can't take it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171135260&cat egory=36100&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

That's what I got and it works well. I put a dab on the nots I use for tied in nock points too. It's good stuff to have and works well IMHO.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

you guys are really starting to mess up my excuse for not doing it for people.
ROFL.......sorry
Old 07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a jar of that stuff for a couple of years now, make sure you use it a lot- don't be skimpy.
Reason why-I went to use mine this year (hadn't touched it in a while) and it was a ball of goo inside the jar.
It does work well, but in my case the stuff had a shelf life that I exceeded.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:47 PM

got some on the way. thanks for the link rick. i've bought from that company before - i got a big ol jug of spider legs from him for super cheap. he's got some decent prices on certain items.