Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fixed Blades at higher speeds

Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Fixed Blades at higher speeds

I have not shot my new bow yet but when I told the guy at the pro shop I was shooting 3 blade 100 grain Muzzys he said I may have to switch. My old bow '96 Hoyt only shot about 210 fps. My new Bowtech should be much faster and he said tuning them would be much more difficult. Anyone shooting muzzys at higher fps having problems?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Fixed Blades at higher speeds

I shoot 4 blade 100 gr. Muzzy's at a light blistering speed of 290 fps, of course attainable only by a bow manufactured by Hoyt.
Shooting that Bowtech, I don't think speed will be an issue......LOL....j/k of course. But I do shoot 290, and my Muzzy's fly perfectly. Your pro shop guy is right though. The faster the arrow flys, the trickier it is IMO to get them to fly good. I do believe there is a speed that is too fast for them, and no matter how well the bow is tuned, they are going to plane. If you find that you can't get them to work, try a Magnus Stinger. I do believe they fly BETTER than a field point, if that's possible. Good luck. If I can do it, so can you!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you find that you can't get them to work, try a Magnus Stinger. I do believe they fly BETTER than a field point, if that's possible.
Hey, stop stealing my words. I said that first!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could also try some of the smaller heads made by rocket, sonic, and nap that are suppose to fly like fieldpoints.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 PM

The Stinger is a very nice broadhead. I just picked up a 3-pack of 100 grain stingers and they group right along with field points.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:49 PM

Just to add one more to the list of satisfied Stinger users. I love the 125 4 blades. Drops the speed a bit, but one wicked, nasty head!!!!

Try them. You will like them.

JMAC
Old 07-22-2005, 04:28 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can get any broadhead to fly good if there is nothing wrong with the bow and you have arrows that are stiff enough. Tuning will be similar with your new bow as it would have been with the old. It's just that your old one might be more forgiving when out of tune.

If someone can't get a particular broadhead to fly well out a late model compound, they have one of the following concerns: An arrow with a spine that is too weak, a bow with the draw weight set too high for that arrow, an arrow that is not straight or it has inconsistant spine around it's circumference, not enough weight up front on the arrow, not enough drag on the rear end of the arrow, a bow where the center shot and/or nock height is incorrect, a torqued release or a bow where the cams are not timed.

No where will you find that speed will cause poor flight. It can only amplify another problem.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always found that the 3 blade muzzys required more tweaking to get spot on than the 4 blades do. I guess in my experience the 4 blades were more foregiving to a less than perfect set up..

If you find the 3 blades are not working as you would like them to then go with the Stingers or slicktricks, both have proved to fly like fieldpoints in my backyard.

BTW, I've got 3 blade muzzys shooting good at the moment at 270. I've read more than once thet the higher yourspeed is over 265/270 the trickier good fixed bladebroadhead flight can get. Can it be done, yes- no doubt. Is it easy- only if everything on your rig and your arrows is near perfect.

I'm glad to see the newer fixed blade designs for fast flying arrows, it has given archers without perfect shooting form/release& bowhunting rigs another option besides mechanicals.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:06 AM

my muzzy 4 blades are shooting 299 out of my Allegiance and fly great
Old 07-22-2005, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Dairy King

If you find that you can't get them to work, try a Magnus Stinger. I do believe they fly BETTER than a field point, if that's possible.
Hey, stop stealing my words. I said that first!
LOL.....kids....

Quick Reply: Fixed Blades at higher speeds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.