Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about spine.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about spine.

I've been reading a lot of bowhunting magazines at my summer job and a recent article about hunting in africa got me thinking. They said you need like 700-800 grain arrows for caper buffalo. Wouldn't this be way overspined? How do you have an arrow that weighs this much and is still properly spinded for your bow?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Question about spine.

It would depend on the length of the arrow, the tip weight and poundage of the bow. And in my opinion a very stiff arrow is not that hard to tune compared to an overly weak one. I don't know if I would expect it to group large fixed blades with my field tips, but you could certainly get them to shoot straight.

I have actually shot arrows that were twice as stiff as they needed to be out of my bow. They shot perfect. You just give up some speed because of the weight is all.

I shoot 51 lbs at 26 inches out of a bowtech mighty might. According to On Target I could shoot a 2219 at 30 inches with vanes and a 150 tip and it would only be slighty overspined. This would weigh around 688 grns. Of course I would only get about 190 FPS out of it. You could also add weight, I have done this before. I found that a 2016 shaft fits perfectly inside a 2213 shaft. I have gotten 25 inch 2213's to weigh 450 grns by adding a short piece inside the shaft behind the insert. I'm sure if I went longer it would up it considerably. Of course it would effect the spine as well though.

Being that I can hit that weight with my set up I don't feel it would be hard to get heavier with a more conventional set up.

Paul