Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting-in question

Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Sighting-in question

What would cause broadheads to shoot 4-6 inches left compared to field points? I'm a lefty shooting an Outback. I've tried Muzzy's and Rocky Mountain XP's. Same results. Every bow I've shot has pretty much shot the same whether it's field points or broadheads.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting-in question

Bow not being tuned properly
Old 07-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that's your problem.

To correct a left or right problem like that, you'll be changingthings like draw weight, or point weight, or arrow length, rest position, or rest tension.

Go to Easton's websight and download their tuning guide. Just remember that it is written for a right hander, so your solutions will be the opposite of what is recommended. If they say to move your rest to the left, you'll have to go right.

Other things to consider...
Have you paper-tuned or bare-shaft-tuned with field points? (do that first)
Do your broadheads spin true on the shaft? (if not, fix that first)
Are you shooting groups, and not individual arrows? (always shoot groups to eliminate as much shooter induced error as you can)

When everything is humming along like it should, your field points and broadheads should hit the same spot atall resaonableranges.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like Bulzeye said first check your broadheads... I was having the same problem. Make sure your broadheads and your veins are in the each facing the same. I had to rotate my insert until I had veins and broadheads in the same position... It worked for me... Atleast that's the first and easy thing to do.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:13 PM

It is not uncommon at all for your broadheads to hit a different hole than your field points. Where they hit is not a big issue, it is the group you are after. If they group well, just move your sites. If they fly irradically, you have a tuning problem.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

CMitchell, if you choose to simply move your sights so they line up with where your broadheads are hitting, make sure to check them at several distances. If they do not always hit in the same place relative to your field points you have a tuning problem to correct. Fixed blade broadheads can amplify tuning problems that are not evident when shooting field points.

Most often, if not every time, moving your sights will be OK for a single distance, like 20 yards(or wherever you tested them), but when you shoot at 10 or 30, you may find that they hit differently. Trying to keep track of where they hit at what range is a bad idea. No time for all that thinking in the field.