Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Installing Peep and String Leeches ! HELP BEFORE I MESS UP!

Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Installing Peep and String Leeches ! HELP BEFORE I MESS UP!

Hey All ,

Welp I'm new at all of this stuff , so i need some help from yall PRO's!!!

Well i got the Dusk Vision Peep ( with the rubber tubin )
and the Sims Super String Leeches ! Ok

What do i need too put the peep on ? And how do i do it ???
Also what about the String Leeches i'm puttin 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom! I'm a do-it urselfer kinda dude ,also the archery shop here is bout like Sh*ttin in one hand and wishin in the other too get good quality work done on your bow and done Right ! So please help me Out !

Thanks Alot
LungBuster101
Old 07-20-2005, 04:52 AM

Default RE: Installing Peep and String Leeches ! HELP BEFORE I MESS UP!

I'm not a "yall pro", but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Put your bow in your bowpress and relax the string. Then divide the string into two equal sections at the location where the peep should go. Then I'd recommend to throw away the peep with the "tubin" (they're noisy, dangerous and unreliable). I'd use the type that doesn't have the tubing. Though it requires a more tedious installation and a good string. You may have to experiment with the proper place to divide the string in order to get it to center on your draw. You may have to press your bow several times to get this right. After you get the peep correct, serve above and below it to keep it in place. Remember, when pressing your bow, to reduce the poundage before pressing it. You should not try to insert anything into the string with it under tension. It is very easy to break strands when the string isn't relaxed.

While the string is relaxed, you can insert your string leeches. A lot of people says they last longer if you tie them in. I've never had them last very long either way, so I quit using them.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The string leaches fell apart for me too in just one season.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:21 PM

Yep string leaches are in my opinion a joke I got about 25 shots out of mine before falling apart i dont like them at all, as far as the rest if you are not sure about it do the best thing and take it to someone who knows how, will save you alot of time and money, ive seen guys make a homemade press or buy the portalbe presses not knowing how to use them properly and end up busting a limb or doing other damage to there bow...if you have a good pro shop they might even let you watch them do it so the next time you can do it yourself, thats how I learned..
Old 07-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Staight arrow is giving you good advise! If you try to install a peep orLeaches without a press you WILL cut your string! Take it to a shop that has a press!

SF
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't have to use a press (although it is a bit easier with one), a string seperator will work fine. I use the 1/4 method for positioning the silencers. I would tie them in using a simple nock tie.

As far as the leeches, IMO they are the best. The newer ones will last much longer the older model.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Bob..I must respectfully disagree! I have tried the seperator from Easton Archery and frayed my string. If there is a better "mousetrap" I would like to know where I can get one. I hate takeing my bow to the shop also! what seperator are you using? I could use the extra time shooting.

SF
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's OK to disagree!

FWIW, I also have a bow press, but,I won't clamp anything down unless I absolutely have to. If I am changing a string, thenI will install the silencers while the bow is clamped down, - much easier.

Also, you have to work the tool in, you can't just jam it. I have never cut string with a seperator.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

For about $120, you can get an Apple bow vise, and a portable bow press and have everything you need to do all of your work without having tension on the string.
Pop that puppy in the vise, hook up the press to it, crank it down, and you're good to go.
I got those two for Christmas last year (because I told people what I wanted), and bow maintenance is so much easier this year. I put on new limbs, string, silencers, and never had to leave my basement.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Bob, your seperator is a little diffrant than mine. The Eastan is the steel yellow one. The pic you show will be better than the one I have. I hope he can install his accesorys without a press but I haven't had much luck at it.

SF