Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Set up help

Old 07-16-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Set up help

I just ordered a closeout 2004 Bowtech Extreme VFT its brand new in the box. I was looking to buy a Diamond Rapture from my local pro shop but got this Extreme VFT for less than the Rapture. The specs on the Rapture was 295 fpsIBO the VFT is 325 fps so I went for the Extreme VFT. I went to the local pro shop today to pick out some accessories and the usual guy was gone. I talked to thea guywho was filling in and he had quite an attitude. He told me since I didnt buy the bow there he would charge me to put on the accessories I was buying. I am spending over $250.00 in accesories and arrows so I was suprised at that, but hey they need to make money, I understand that. I asked how much? he said theshop fee was $55.00 to mount the sight, arrow rest, and quiver. I said I wouldneed a D loop and hey said that would be $10.00I asked if they would paper tune it? He said that would be $20.00 extra. I am looking at $85.00 for set up!!!

I think I am going to wait for the usual bow guy to show up and ask him since I have been buying stuff there for years and always from him. If he sticks to the $85.00 I will try to set it up myself.

Does anyone know where I can get good instuctions on how to set up a bow from scratch?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Set up help

Go to easton arrows (easton archery?) websight and down load the tuning guide. It is very helpful and sounds like what your looking for.

And yes it is somewhat taboo to walk into a proshop with a net bought bow and expect them to set it up. BUT if you are buying your accessories from them they will normally mount them for you for free (theshopsI frequent anyways)
I have seen tune up prices of $20.00 listed at different bow shops.

Buy your accessories and some arrows from the shop owner and he should be smiling by the end of your visit.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM

I know its a little taboo, I would never expect them to set it up for free. But I think $85.00 is a little steep.The usual guy told me to keep an eye out for a good used bow when I was shopping. I actually asked him about the Extreme and he had me shoot a Patriot saying that was a very close bow so I could get a feel for what the bow may be like. He said it was a great deal and he would go for it.
Like I said I dont expect them to set it up for free. I have purchased over $1800.00 in stuff from them in the lastsix months.
1- rifle with scope and rings Rem 700 .243 win
1- shotgun SX2 31/2"
1 dozen arrows and two packs of broadheads
1- the block target
1-eternity bag target
Had winners choice strings and cables installed on my old bow in May
This is just the start of the list, not to mention using their range and techno hunt regularly. So I was hopeing for a little gesture of "yeah I can do that for ya"
Heck I could have got all the accessories off ebay with the bow for lesst than I would pay at the pro shopand they would have set it allup for me. But I felt I should give my local pro shop a little business to help them out,but maybe I was wrong. I think they would have been happy to sell me$250 in accessories and charge a few bucks to mount the stuff up.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once the owner returns I'm sure the the attitude will not be there seeing how you have spent so much money there. In reality the attitude shouldn't havebeen there anyways.

This is one of the only situations in life where we are expected to pay more with a smile because of some sort of customer to shopowner loyalty that is supposed to exist. And if it's broken- scorn be to you.

For instance the local mathews dealer sell his Switchbacks for a full $90.00 higher than another dealer in my state. IfI were to go save $90.00 and buy at the other shop (be it further away) my local dealer wouldn't look at me the same whenI paid him a visit from then on out. That's just the odd way it is I guess.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't blame the shop for the attitude, I guess, though you've certainly spent enough $ in there recently. Does the son-in law know that? Like Dave said, see the shop owner that you normally deal with. Still wouldn't expect him to be thrilled at what you did, but considering how much you have spent there, the damage might not be so bad.

At the shop I go to (most often), I know the owner pretty well. I just about never pay the price that is on the item if he rings me up. On days when he is not there, his younger assistant rings everything at exactly tag price.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hink 85.00 is a little on the steep side considering you've spent many $$$$$ in his shop in the past recent month's ,but you should be able to mount most of your new gear yourself ,but then again if you've bought these accessories from him mounting them should be part of the deal ,but to have it paper tuned should be a small charge .I'm sure if you go to the Easton tuning guide you should be able to do these thing's for yourself .The quiver is a no-brainer no tuning involved ,just the arrow rest and the sight ,and they're not hard to set up either .I'd still speak to the owner considering you've spent soooo much money in his shop and if thing's don't change then I'ddo it myself ,just take your time and follow the instruction's very carefully .You can do it .
Just think if another guy move's to the area and he's buying thing's from this guy's shop and he's to charge every customer these rediculous price's he wouldn't be in business very long .

nubo

nubo
Old 07-17-2005, 09:03 AM

Hey, the son-in-law is in the will, he is just trying to provide retirement security for his family so they can have fun later on.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'll consider myself lucky to have agreat pro shop!! If you spent $250 on accesorieshere , they would be installed , and they would help you tune the bow , for free.
There is no way in hell you should have to pay an extra charge to have anything setup after dropping $250 in his shop!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wierd, but 20 to paper tune sounds like a steal. I think you should talk to the owner before he loses money. I'd expect to pay a lot more for a good job.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:06 PM

I guess I have a problem also that everything in his store is marked full retail price. I run a business and know in my line of work retail is usually a fairly good bit above actual dealer cost. I could see if he was selling lower and did not have as much profit margin he would definately have to charge for any extras. For example I went there to look at a switchback selling price $749.99 full retail Mathews Quiver $119.99 Spott hogg 7 pin sight$179.99 and a trophy taker rest $74.99 (not the micro adjust and black not camo) Total out the door with tax $1203.00. From what I have heard on this forum, if everyone is honest, that is way more than anyone else is paying.I looked and 2 less expensive bows the Rapture $405.00 and a reflex Buckskin for $409.00 both at full retail price or more.

At first I felt guilty for buying the bow off ebaybut now the more I think about it he is taking advantage that there is not another pro shop for about an hour away. He uses the price and demand thing in his favor on archery stuff, he is actually very reasionable priced on his firearms since there is alot! of competition in this area on firearms. I have never tried to talk him down on anything I purchased from him always paid the asking price with a smile, maybe someone needs to point out to him that in this day and age the internet is greatly affecting how you do business. You will always be able to find something cheaper so you need to be reasonably priced then back it up 100% with customer service.That is what is happening in my line of work we have had to lower our prices then justify the price different as labor and customer service.

So I decided if he will mount the stuff up for free I will buy the accessories there, if not I will order those off ebay as well and mount them up myself. I will pay shipping and still be cheaper than buying from him.I found someone who has worked on his own bows for years and he has a nice bow press.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.