Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning up my wb with gt

Old 07-15-2005, 11:21 PM

Default tuning up my wb with gt

the other day i was out shooting with a friend and he noticed that my arrow seamed to sit with a slight downward slope. hmmmm this puzzled me. i had my bow paper tuned with my old arrows and it shot fine. i did notice that the gtxt5575 are a bit narrower shaft then what i was previouly using. as we played around with it, we found that if you raise the tip of the arrow till the shaft touches the top bristles then the shaft was almost perfectly staight (paralel with the ground , any ideas ????
Old 07-16-2005, 12:47 PM

Default RE: tuning up my wb with gt

im back after having some pc problems, anyhow as i was saying, my arrows tip downward slightly but they seam to shoot fine as i am still getting good groups, but my sights had to be lowered about 1/2 in to get them to shoot at my same 30 yard mark. i have yet to try the 40-45 yard mark yet so im not sure what they will be doing at that range. should i reset my wb to mak the arrow level with the bow or leave it alone. i have not seen any fishtailing or porposing with my arrows and they all hit the target straight. should this position of my rest in this state be of concern or keep it the way it is. any and all information is greatly appreciated. if any other input is needed just post and i will reply, thanks.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you using the carbon biscuit?
What arrows were you using before?
Try paper tuning again.If your getting nock high tears just raise your rest slightly , or lower your nock , until you get good tears.

Pre - warning , depending on your setup , I've found that GT 5575'srun pretty weak spined for most of todays high energy bows , so dontget too frustrated when paper tuning!
Old 07-16-2005, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Polkat

the other day i was out shooting with a friend and he noticed that my arrow seamed to sit with a slight downward slope. hmmmm this puzzled me. i had my bow paper tuned with my old arrows and it shot fine. i did notice that the gtxt5575 are a bit narrower shaft then what i was previouly using. as we played around with it, we found that if you raise the tip of the arrow till the shaft touches the top bristles then the shaft was almost perfectly staight (paralel with the ground , any ideas ????
Probably the heat is affecting your bowstring and the added length made your nock go up as the string stretches.

The more things stretch, the more the cams can get out of synch and more noise will occur at the shot.

Its a good idea to record the ATA, brace height, bow draw weight, tiller,and cam positionwhen the bow shoots well. Then you can use those numbers to set the bow back to its old specs.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 07-16-2005, 11:36 PM

in reply to bowfanatic: yes sir i am using the wb for carbon arrows.
my old arrows was some generic brand i think wolverine not sure dont remember and the ink is rubbed off from shooting. i am shooting gt xt 5575 at 28 inches with a 85 gr tip. (plan on shooting the 85 gr slick tricks) completed arrow weighs 356 grains per shipment order when i ordered them. i have them set with 4 blazer vane fletches, as i previously said they seamto shoot straight from the bow to the target.
bow is a bowtech bk2 set at 70 lbs and 30 inch draw.
to arroman my bow is really quiet and cams are correctly aligned with each other. all measurements show up as being correct.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you'll need to do some tuning. I would suggest some bareshaft tuning at 10 - 15yds to get your nock position squared away. I'm afraid to tell you to paper tune , with that setup , your gonna be scratching your head alot using the 5575's. You definately have an arrow slinger there , I would suggest going with the 7595's next time.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:40 AM

Polcat,

Its easy fora brassnockpoint to move if you are pulling 70# on a BK.

I usually tie a sting nockpoint that can screw up and down the bowstring to establish the optimim nockheight and tiller combination with the arrow at 90degees to the bowstring. Once this has been achieved you can mark the back of the bowstring with a contrasting color marker between the ears of the nocked arrow. At that point you can serve a nice tight 1/2" double serving as a string nockpoint that will not move up the string.

The nice part about nocking at 90degrees to the bowstring is that you can and will notice when the arrow is not level. A broken string or a stretched string will move the nockpoint up. Knowing that something has changed on your bow and that it needs to be checked out may save both your equiptment and a once in a lifetime shot on game.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

What arroman mentions will become evident in the tuning process if thats the problem.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:08 PM

ok guys so i am a bit confused here atm. if adjustments need to be made how do i tell if it needs to be made on the string or on the rest? what is the easiest way to find out? thanks for you all's assistance.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see arroman is on right now , so I'll let him handle this one.
Sorry arroman , I'm tired and I'm goin to bed.

Quick Reply: tuning up my wb with gt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.