Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Constitution or Old Glory?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Constitution or Old Glory?

So I am considering setting up a bow for next year that would be primarily used for open class 3D, and hopefully also serve as a bow for spots as well. I want to get it with the 60lb limbs this time and 29" draw. It will be fittedwith a long stablizer, the newCopper JohnEvo 2 ANTS with a scope, and for the 3D I would like it to be shooting in the mid 280's preferably with a linecutter arrow if possible.

I really like the forgiveness of the Constitution even though it costs much more, I am wondering if at 29" of draw and at 60-62lbs of draw, am I going to be able to get 280-285 (ASA is growing around here quickly) out of it with a linecutter arrow? I don't care about speed for the spots when I shoot them, but I really would still like some when I am shooting the 3D.

Anyone own both or shot both that can share some info on these? I think Matt/PA has both........which do you like more for 3D?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Constitution or Old Glory?

Also, anyone with inside info from Bowtech know if I should hold out for 06' for any possible new models of these longer ATA more forgiving bows? I don't need to know any specifics, but was curious if I should be waiting till then to see what happens with the next line of bows........
Old 07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I have been told by the good folks at Bowtech there is not much speed difference between the OG and Constitution.

With your draw lenght I dont think you would have any trouble getting 280/285 in fact you might have to slow them both down.

For both spots/3dI would go for the Con. as the added AtA and brace makes it a little more stable.

Instead of line cutters I would look at the Gold Tip seriess 22 Prolight they are lighter than the line cutters and not that much skinnier.

Your choice of sight is not bad but there are better out there such as the HTM Last Word I have seen this sight and if my money situation was better I would have one. But if money was no problem I would get the Hogganaut but atover $600 all I can do is dream.

Stabilizers are sort of personal choice and can be frustrating sorting out what you want.
A buddy has the Doinker 24" with side bars
I have the Speciality arechery 24" Super Stix but am thinking about getting the 24" Elite Stix with tuning rod and 2 10" for side rods.

As for whats coming out next year I doubt anything will be known for anotherfew months.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also, anyone with inside info from Bowtech know if I should hold out for 06' for any possible new models of these longer ATA more forgiving bows?
Ditto on what Aus stated though I wouldn't be surprised to see a true "spot bow" from the lineup. Now whether or not that bow would be better suited for your choice of applications than either the Constitution or Old Glory is a difficult question to answer. I would say "probably not" as both of those bows possess characteristics that should be excellent for either application.

As for the speed, I also agree with Aus...you should have no problem getting it from either and they are both very close in overall attainable speed with similar setups.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thought of a black pewter constitution with a silver ANTS Evo 2 makes me weak in the knees..........
Old 07-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rick,
Go with your weak knees........

So I am considering setting up a bow for next year that would be primarily used for open class 3D, and hopefully also serve as a bow for spots as well. I want to get it with the 60lb limbs this time and 29" draw. It will be fittedwith a long stablizer, the newCopper JohnEvo 2 ANTS with a scope, and for the 3D I would like it to be shooting in the mid 280's preferably with a linecutter arrow if possible.

I really like the forgiveness of the Constitution even though it costs much more, I am wondering if at 29" of draw and at 60-62lbs of draw, am I going to be able to get 280-285 (ASA is growing around here quickly) out of it with a linecutter arrow? I don't care about speed for the spots when I shoot them, but I really would still like some when I am shooting the 3D.

Anyone own both or shot both that can share some info on these? I think Matt/PA has both........which do you like more for 3D?
Speed between the 2 is basically a wash.....My OG came in at 306 and my Constitution at 305.(With an 1" higher brace height)
The Constitution has some advantages IMO over the OG for target shooting. Longer ATA and straight riser with basically zero reflex makes it more stable and very forgiving to form. Obviously the higher brace height isn't hurting either.

Another advantage as a pure target bow is that the Constitution is balanced very differently than the OG.The OG is a pretty neutral balanced bow right out of the box , with that in mind it is very easy to overpower that balance forward with target accessories in the form of long sight bars and stabilizers.
The Constitution on the other hand is actually rearward balanced , meaning that the top cam at rest will want to tip toward the shooter. This is a help when you start adding front weight and the bow is much easier to achieve a proper balance with target stuff than the OG is.

My personal Constitution shoots 284fps at 30"/60# (GT Ultralight Pro 22's at 360grs. (Tru-peep, loop and 2 tied in nock sets)
So with that in mind you should have no trouble getting the speed you need at 29" as long as your finished arrow weight is around 325-330grs. GT 22's for example with small vanes and glue in points will shave quite a bit of weight off my finished arrow weight which consists of 4" Flex Fletch vanes, inserts w/ 75gr tips and busings and Beiter nocks.
It would be quite easy to get a Linejammer style arrow to the weight you need.

Quite honestly the Constitution is the easiest to shoot bow I've ever had, and I'm having quite a bit of success with it in 3D competition this year. I have never been more confident of a bow's shootability.

Don't get me wrong the OG is a fantastic shooting bow and a great choice as a true dual purpose hunting/target bow, but as a pure target shooter (especially with long accessories) the Constitution is the best Bowtech has to offer.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input Matt, I was hoping you would pop in here as I have seen you reference both your OG and Constitution over on AT.com a few times, but never saw your opinion on which was the better target/3D bow. That is exactly the input I was looking for. Now I just have to find a way to convince the boss at home why I need another bow...........