Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Explain this.... (broadhead experiments)

Old 07-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Explain this.... (broadhead experiments)

Hey there...

Here it isSaturday evening. I wasout earlier, before dark, shooting my old trusty PSE bow into the "Black Hole" from 20 yards and 30 yards.

Being the curious type, I was experimenting with these broadheads and tips on a common Easton XX75 2315 arrow:

125gr field tips
125gr Thunderhead
100gr 4 blade Magnus Stinger

Out of an old PSE bow (round wheel dual cam, teardrop cables, etc...) the field tips fly like they always do. Dead on accurate. I can darn near Robin Hood an arrow at 20 yards. 30 yard shots are also good and accurate too. Now that I was warmed up, it was time to play with the broadheads (but first flip the "Black Hole" around since I have shot up the front of it all to heck). I had aroll of masking tape to use as a marking device for a previous arrow. Madea 4x4 square taped to the other side of the target....

125gr Thunderhead: This flies great but flies just a hair low compared to field tips. 20 yard shot - flew perfect and hit the piece of tape dead-on but about 1/2" low (estimate). 30 yard shot- flew perfect as well, but hit about 1" low.

100gr Magnus Stinger: This flies excellent and is now my main broadhead. Like others have already mentioned, this thing is wickedly sharp - just looking at it will slice you open! [&:] This flies EXACTLY like my field tips and I'm trying to understand why. How can a 100gr broadhead fly exactly like a 125gr field tip?
20 yard shot - flew perfect. Dead center in the piece of masking tape!
30 yard shot - also flew perfect. Right in the masking tape and a little to the right (my fault), but unlike the Thunderheads, it never flew low.

Do broadheads always have a tendency to fly a hair lower than field tips? I'm just wondering.... I am curious, experimenting, and basically want to goof around with different broadheads before the season. I have read all through 5shot's website http://www.broadheadtests.com and want to see how my rugged old bow will perform with different broadheads using Easton 2315 alum arrows.

What do you think of the results I have posted? A 100gr Magnus Stinger flies more straighter and more like a field tip than a 125gr Thunderhead - even though the Thunderhead is the same grain as the field tip!

Butch A.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Explain this.... (broadhead experiments)

My guess would be you need to make a slight adjustment to your nocking point, or your arrows may be slightly under spined with the 125 heads on them. I would say switch to a 100 grn field point and stick with the 100 grn broad heads if they fly well. Actually the others fly pretty well from the way it sounds.

Broad head tuning can be pretty touchy at times.

Paul
Old 07-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I think the 125gr Thunderheads may be slightly tooheavy for the 2315's. Here's more technical data if anyone wants it:

65# bow, 30" draw, common everyday Easton XX75's 2315 cut to 30.5".

125gr tip - that "bowjackson" website says my arrow weight is: 568 grains.

100gr tip - same calculations on the site... but now the arrow weight is: 543 grains.

I guess by going with a 100gr broadhead, I am just gaining a tiny bit of fps, that's all. Some broadheads fly great, some give people troubles and don't fly well. My old rugged PSE bow is still setup accurate and true (according to the bow shop). I don't fiddle with it or make adjustments to anything - 'cause I don't want to mess it up! I will pick up a pack of 100gr field tips to see how they differ compared to 125gr field tips.

Thanks for the reply!

Butch A.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

543 grains? Dang, Butch. I thought I had a heavy arrow. [:-][:-]
Old 07-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I know.... I don't shoot arrows... I shoot tire irons! Nothing wrong with an arrow hitting like a Mack truck!

I think the 100gr tips make more sense at 543 grains versus 568....

Butch A.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

agree with Paul. Sounds like your nocking point is a tiny bit high. the 25 grains you lost by shooting a lighter broadhead made the arrow impact a half inch higher than your 125's. move your nocking point down (or rest up) a 64'th of an inch then try. Or better yet, take all the fletchings off one arrow and shoot it with a field point. That'll really tell you what happened.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

The tunderheads I have are all heavier than they say they are, thus the drop. The 100 is the worst at 106, all of them.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres my take , if you've got a broadhead equiped arrow hitting right where your field tiped arrow is , dont try and figure it out , just use that setup , and be happy .
Old 07-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog
The tunderheads I have are all heavier than they say they are, thus the drop. The 100 is the worst at 106, all of them.
Wow... I didn't know that. So a 125gr Thunderhead isn't actually 125 grains? More like 130 or so? No wonder.... [:-]

My bow is still setup accurate and the lefty TM Hunter prong rest is still properly aligned for 2315's. Maybe it's just the way 125gr Thunderheads shoot... They fly great, but fly just a hair low, maybe that's just the way they are. Who knows...

This is the my old bow in case you are curious....
1996 PSE Edge 1000C lefty bow
65#, 30" draw, 65% letoff, round wheel dual cam
TM Hunter lefty rest
Tru-Glo 3 pin sights
Shurz-a-peep
Cat whisker silencers
X-ring stablizer

Old 07-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

No way the 125's are too heavy for those arrows. It's probably a minute nock point adjustment. But if your primary bh's hit dead on with your fp's....don't mess with it. You are all set.Sounds you have your bow exactly how you need it right now. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Explain this.... (broadhead experiments)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.