Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

Old 07-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Default RE: The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

Maybe I overstated myself when I said the STS will be the newest "Must Have" on a Bow. But this product deffinitlymade my groups to tighter. I never said it was cure all but I do feel it could be a piece of equipment someone can add on to their bow and have it be beneficial to their shooting. And I tell you if it wouldn't have done anything for me I would have sent it back in a heartbeat. Yes I was excited to try it, but if it didn't work why would I keep it on my bow and tell everyone in cyber space that it worked? Yes it may not work on some bows, not everything will work on every bow. I'm just paasing on a friendly note to tell others that it worked for me and that maybe they might want to try it. Sorry all if I seem a little agitated but a comment above kind of set me off. That is a first for me on this site after being a member for about4-5 years I think. I was just trying to pass along some friendly advice to try a new product.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:22 AM

PaBowhntr,
I went from sideplates to a custom full grip at the same time I installed the STS. Once I was use to the new grip I put the sts back on, cut the rod and tried it in every possible position. The STS was very hard on my bowstring. 1 inch of "frizzies" on each side of the contact point. Damaged fibers =reduced string life.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA Hardwoods:

Sorry some of the responses you got made you feel like you were being attacked. From my personal opinion, it has everything to do with the STS discussions on ArcheryTalk, and absolutely nothing to do with your post. Over there, if you so much as question some rather outlandish claims by enthusiastic users, you get clobbered, and your character questioned.[:@]

Now, on to Dave's question about broadheads. I had stated before that I thought my bow was a little more accurate without the STS. I really think it was, but since I had the STS on the bow, I have fine tuned the rest. I thought the STS changed my POI a little, but again that was before last week's fine tuning. I'm not going to go overboard here, but I can be pretty confident in saying the STS did not have ANY negative effects on my broadhead flight or accuracy. In addition, my POI did not change after I put the STS on the bow, as it had before. If, as I wondered, it causes any downward nock travel, it didn't seem to have any effect. It seems doubtful based on how my arrows were flying. I apologize if my previously posted misinformation clouded this issue.

When a 53 yr. old with new progressive bifocals can shoot the way I shot the last 3 times out, life is good! (At least until the wife wakes up.)[8D]
Old 07-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Good point about getting flamed on the AT forum. I tried to word my response in a fair way. I would not purchase a bow that has one installed when testing before buying and I would not purchase the product to cure string slap (given you have the correct draw length). But on the other hand there are many satisfied customers, that's why I bought the product. My local proshop closed down so I did not get to see how it worked with other bows. My bow has a short ata.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wasnt't trying to flame PA about purchasing one. It's just that the title and opening post fit right in with what I was trying to say. It probably came across that way but I was just making a point. His post isn't the only one that is overly raving about the STS.

BTW, I very rarely post anything on AT anymore. Can't stand listening to most around there.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Joe, that's great to hear those results. I'm going with the tiller adjustment next in my tuning quest.

One thing comes to mind though (not that it would make too much of a difference) but to the best of my recollection your shooting a hybrid cammed bow (darton typhoon was it?), I wonder if a solocam bow would have a different effect on the nock travel mixed with an STS seeing how the working cam in most near the STS? (on a bow that lacks level nock travel to begin with)

I guess i'll find out when i get back to tuning.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just got one and have shot 3-4 times with it. My bow was extremely quiet to begin with,(Martin Razor X)I noticed very little change in that department. I did take my leeches off and noticed no increase in noise. I haven't shot it without the leeches and STS. I probably won't. I did notice my groups get real tight. The nocks on my arrows snap on the string tighter than nicks I've used in the past. I wonder if this is the reason the STS helped my grouping.I did have to use the serving material rather quickly, because in a matter of just a few shots, my string was beginning to "fuzz". It does beat up my string, but the serving material has taken that away. I also shot broadheads the other night as well. They were dead on grouping, just a little low from my FP, settings. Which is great since i haven't began to tune the broadheads yet.

So in summary, it did very little as far as quieting my bow, only becuase it was quiet to start. It DID improve my grouping, so I am going to keep it for now. For those who don't like them, they have a 30 day return, send it back.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

I took mine off because it is too loud....I have a Switchback which is very quiet to begin with...But I wanted to get rid of the slight string vibration. So I shot the STS for a week thinking it would make my bow even quieter....NOT! I played around with the gap between the string and suppressor but nothing seemed to fix the noise problem. It would make a significant pop noise when the string strikes the rubber suppressor. Without the STS all I get now is a slight string vibration noise which is noticeably quieter than with the STS.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 AM

Many of you are right-on about the 'dedication' over on AT. It is very prevalent and mindset.

As I said before, it is a device that is not a 'cure-all' and something that yields varying results dependent on application, set-up, and form. The reason itmightwork for some is that it corrects nuisances that are inherent in their design, set-up, or form. The reason that many don't see the 'benefits' is because the 'results' create other problems or fail to 'correct' the intendedproblems.

It is a design that has been tried before by several other companies and did NOT revolutionize the industry. The usage of Sims products and a'univeral' mounting configuration did not radically change the basic design. Some will see benefits where others will see negatives. It's been that way since the first design hit the market and hasn't changed through the present configuration.

Will it 'cure' certain problems? Sometimes. Will it cause certain problems? Sometimes. Is it a 'cure-all'. No.