Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

More newbie questions - draw weight

Old 09-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More newbie questions - draw weight

How do you adjust the draw weight of a compound???
Whats the easiest way to find out what the weight is now???
Does draw length have an effect on the power and speed of a properly tuned bow?

This weekend I shot my new bow for the 1st time. I was very happy that I was hitting the target consistantly but noticed that my arrows weren't penetrating the foam block as deeply as 2 friends arrows, all three bows are 50-60lbs. Unfortuneatly we are all newbies so we can't really help each other out, and the pro shop is an hour away.
Could it be that my shorter arrows (26" draw length) don't have enough weight behind them, or could bad form have and effect on the arrows impact?

"guns aren't for killing people, guns are for killing dangerous and delicious animals"
- Homer Simpson
Old 09-22-2002, 06:31 PM

Default RE: More newbie questions - draw weight

Go to this web site and print the tuneing guide. It will explain everything in there.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

Old 09-22-2002, 09:17 PM

Default RE: More newbie questions - draw weight

You increase the draw weight of a bow by turning the limb bolts clockwise. I wouldn't mess with turning these yet since it can potentialy affect your accuracy and you said you were pretty happy with how you are shooting right now.

You use a bow scale to determine actual draw weight. It hooks onto your string and you 'draw' the bow. You might want to have a pro shop show you how to use one. Or use theirs. Here are two types from the Cabelas catalog:

Longer draw lengths mean a longer 'power stroke' and greater arrow speed, all other things being equal.

Assuming that your bow is tuned, concentrate on your shooting form and don't worry too much about penetration just yet. Many things can affect penetration of arrows into a target. Are all your friends using identical arrows and field tips? Some bows are more efficient than others and might shoot an arrow faster (deeper penetration, usually) even though it is the same draw weight as the others.

Have fun.

Edited by - The Mouse on 09/22/2002 22:22:14