Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie question

Old 07-03-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Newbie question

I just got a new bow, a parker buck hunter, and i quess that i have not been shooting correctly. Apparently you are suppose to have a subtle follow through with the bow after you release the arrow , in which case you use a sling to catch the bow so you wont drop it. Is this correct. I need suggestions for a stabilizer, and any other newbie tips that you have for me. What size stabilizer should i get. i had someone persuade me to buy one of these http://www.fusearchery.com/stabilizers/ , haven't done it yet b/c i wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Newbie question

Stork 1 ,
These guys are very helpful but I have recieved the most help by running into folks who belong to archery clubs. They can sit back and watch you shoot and see things . I had a man watch me and it brought my groups together 100%. They can tell how your arrow looks in flight . Help you with your form and give very helpful suggestions. Find a partner.
Chuck
Old 07-03-2005, 02:28 PM

You should hold your bow as loose as possible to avoid torque. by holding it thatlooseyou would dropyour bowafter the shot. This is why you use a sling. You don't have to buy a $10 sling. I use a leather strip.

As for the stabilizer, go to an archery shop and test a few out. Most archery shops will let you test them before you buy them.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Though you can get some very good advice here I would agree that a local archery club or reputable pro shop is the place to head to have someone evaluate your shooting form. It would take slow motion video from several angles to accomplish the same thing here on the forums....though what has been posted so far in that regard is right on the money.

As for stabilizers, I prefer the Sims lineup though each setup is different. Try as many as you can at a place with a decent selection.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:50 AM

Have to agree with finding a partner.. Evening shooting for many years. A bunch of friends and I get together all summer to shoot, evaluate and help each other and work with Folks who are just starting out. Having someone else( Knowledgable ) watch you shoot Can make a huge difference. As for one... If you are trying to see your arrow fly, you are not going to follow through correctly. You should not take you focus off the Aiming point until after your arrow hits. I tell folks to aim, focus, release when ready, but stay focused on the spot and after the arrow hits count to five keeping there focus and pin on the target. Doing this makes it impossible to see any issues with your bow or form but keeps you from dropping your bow or canting it to one side to see where your arrow may hit. Trust me your arrow will still be in the same spot after counting.. For this a wrist strap helps,as you are not grabbing your bow to keep it from falling and it is one less thing to think about.You really need a partner to watch you and give you good feedback. A proshop will help, but a partner is best as they will see you shoot allot more. Many clubs have regular shoots and if you can get involved that is usually a big help
Good Luck
Old 07-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

It would take slow motion video from several angles to accomplish the same thing
Game tapes. Invaluable!

Good advise Chuck!

Stabilizers. If you don't feel a change in the balance of the bow it's not doing anything and for me it's a ten inch min. Doniker is good.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stork, try www.ehow.com/how_11356_shoot-bow.html there are tons of websites to help you on getting started. I agree if you can find a partner it's the best way to go, or a good bow shop. Depending on how much you shoot and how crazy you are about this sport, you will certainly learn a lot by asking questions, reading, and observing.
This is a great sport..