Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problems with overspined arrows?

Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problems with overspined arrows?

The arrows I have been shooting (3-60 ACCs) were purchased when I was shooting a 65#, hard cam bow. I am now shooting at 61# with two hybrid cam bows. These arrows seem to shoot just as well as they ever did, even though the charts call for a 3-49 with my current setups. Then a friend gave me some Carbon Tech Cheetahs (55/80s) that the charts say are the correct spine for 75# bows (29" arrows). To my surprise, they are shooting very well, even with broadheads. Other than shooting an arrow that is a little heavier than needed, is there really a big downside to shooting an overspined arrow (compound release)?

I would think the relatively stiff arrow might help penetration in game.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problems with overspined arrows?

There are some disadvantages to being overspined , but being underspined is so much worst that it allmost pays to be overspined . The disadvantages would that your setup would be less forgiving than if you were spined right on .
Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't worry a whole lot about the charts. They're just suggested starting points anyway. Shoot whatever arrow spine the bow likes best. Some bows like stiffer arrows than the chart calls for.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Other than shooting an arrow that is a little heavier than needed, is there really a big downside to shooting an overspined arrow
Heavier than needed? It might be heavier, but that is a good thing when for most hunters.

I personally disagree with trying to get an exact spine match with most carbons. So many have such a wide variation in actual measured spine in a dozen, that you end up shooting some that are on the weak side, and some that are stiff. I think most are much better off shooting all arrows on the stiff side. Your ACCs are probably an exception to this.

I find that I get great broadhead flight when tuning my setup with all arrows on the stiff side.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't surprised by the ACCs, since I've been shooting well with them before, and they aren't drastically overspined. The Cheetahs were a surprise though. I had been shooting them with 125 gr. points to "soften them up", and on a whim tried 100 gr. points, since those are the only Muzzys with practice blades that I currently have. Still needed to tweak the rest a little as the BHs were hitting just a little high, but flight and accuracy were all I could ask for. Grouping was good even with the factory straight offset fletch.