Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

As part of my shot sequence, I will load an arrow. Place the bottom cam on my leg and loosen my grip on the handle and transfer the holding pressure to the release after I attatch it.. I will place my hand on the grip before raising the bow and drawing back, the bow finds a pocket that opens at about a 40 degree angle of my hand. This way I can place my hand on the handle easilyand not have to move it under pressure. This way I can grab it the same every time.The bow handle should line up with the arm bone. If you push with your other hand in a direct line through your palm and into your arm bone using an imaginary line. You should be able to twist your hand a little without feeling much side pressure. Proper mechanics involves using your bone structure to steady the shot.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

OK, I shoot off the meat of the thumb the way it's supposed to be done and have done so for so many years that I don't even think about it anymore. There are a couple things to think about though. To get into the grip consistently the bow should be able to slide into the hand. To accomplish this is simple. DO NOT use any kind of rubber grip on the bow. One I've used for years is a little powder pouch for powdering finger tabs. I just patted some powder onto my bow hand so the hand would not stick anywhere on the grip. I've recently changed this and now start off any shooting session with a dab of CX Arrow lube on my thumb area. It spreads around on it's own and lets the bow slide right into same position every time.