Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string loop wear

Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Spike

Default string loop wear

My string loop is showing signs of a snag ,wear, at the back bottom after short usage again.Thought it was my trueball copperhead had a burr on the first loop.So I used emery cloth and smoothed the edge.It's back again,am I doing something wrong or is the bow set up wrong.Bow shop didn't know after replacing the first loop.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Default RE: string loop wear

something is going on for sure. i would think its the jaws of the release somehow eating your loop.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:28 AM

If you went through two string loops in a row, it has to be the release. It doesn't take a bur to fray a string. A rough edge could do it. I would sand with nothing larger than 600 grit for the final sanding, then I'd buff and polish it. Make sure you wax the loop. Wax protects the loop material and it makes for a smoother release.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that it has to be the release jaws. Afterall, they are the only thing making contact with the loop so what else could it be. I'm not so sure I wouldn't just get another release.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:11 AM

I had the same problem. After shooting fingers for years, I finally broke down and tried a release. Bought a cheap one because I wasn't sure I'd like it. Started noticing wear on the loop after a very short time. Checked the release, but could not see or feel anything wrong. Replaced the loop and bam same thing. Upone closer examine, I noticed that the jaws weren't matching up perfectly. Bought a new release and no more problems.

Tom
Old 07-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard of anyone having wear problems with the Copperhead, it's a very small compact design... it should be great. Keeps us posted as to what you find out??
Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Spike

The bow shop called manufacturer,they had the bow shop switch out the head with a new one.They wanted the bad head sent back.Doesn,t seem to be any wear problems now.Must of been a defective one.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Make sure you wax the loop. Wax protects the loop material and it makes for a smoother release.
I didn't realize we should be waxing the string loop. Does it really have an effect on the release ?