Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What weight point should I use?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default What weight point should I use?

Just got my Gold Tips in the mail yesterday, and they look pretty sweet with the wraps and matching Blazers. That said, should I shoot 100 grain or 75 grain points? I definitly notice a greater selection of broadheads at 100 grains. According to the GT website, given 15 grains for fletching (I heard blazers were ~5 grains per vane), and the nock and insert -- with a 100 grain point I am at 371.6 grains (+arrow wrap) with a FOC of 11.8%. With a 75 grain point, it drops to 346.6 grains (again + arrow wrap) with a FOC of 9.27%. So would you set up and tune with 100 or 75 grain points given that you will be hunting and shots will be within ~40 yards. Also, broadhead choice isnt determined yet but will be either a mechanical or small fixed head (~1 inch) like the Nitron, etc.

edit-- they look sweet

Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What weight point should I use?

Speaking for myself, I would choose 100gr points. What's your draw weight? I'd be concerned that you're getting a little on the light side with the 75gr points, but I don't know what your setup is.

Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 07:00 PM

Which ever gives you the best spine on your arrows. I would opt for more FOC though, especially with those little vanes.

Paul
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Im shooting 65-67 lbs. It was at 64 and I turned it up about just under two turns.

The big thing is selection at 100 grains is much better, and the FOC is better with 100 grains, the only real positive for the 75's is more speed (which isnt my top priority) and stiffer spine
Old 06-29-2005, 05:38 AM

I'd go with the heaviest tip my arrow spine could easily handle, even if it meant a 125 gr. or heavier tip.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:44 AM

What are all the specs on your bow. Model and year of bow, Draw weight, exact draw length, arrow length, type and size of arrow, what is on your string? And if you know it, the speed that it will run thru a chrono with the exact weight of the arrow used.

Paul
Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 AM

100 grains
Old 06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

What are all the specs on your bow. Model and year of bow, Draw weight, exact draw length, arrow length, type and size of arrow, what is on your string? And if you know it, the speed that it will run thru a chrono with the exact weight of the arrow used.

Paul
Its the ~36" version of the Bear TRX ( http://www.realtree.com/community/fe...tail.tpl?ID=87 ), draw length is 29 inches weight is ~66 lbs, arrows are Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575's cut to 28" inches. Fletched with 3 Blazer Vanes with right helical. Finished arrow weight should be ~370 grains + whatever the EZE crest weighs. On the string is a loop and kisser button and some catwhisker string silencers. Also a brass nock. I dont have the speed but the IBO is 305 and the AMO is 235-- So I assume ~250-260...
Old 06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before you settle and think your shooting a certain weight head you better weight them the bh's are not what the are rated at, for example my 100 bh are 106. Having said that some say and I have found it to be true that the foc reccomendations for fp and bh are not the same. Fp between 8-12 bh between 11-15. I would pick one and try and tune the bow. Pick the one that goes best with the bow.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 PM

According to TAP those arrows a tad weak for your set up with 100 grn tips, but the FOC looks good. 75 grn tips would put you good with spine, but the FOC is bit lower at around 8 percent or so. 85 grn tips would be better keeping you in the green for spine and giving you around 9% FOC.

I would say go with 85 grn tips, or 100 grn. If you have problems tuning the 100 grn heads drop you poundage slightly. Like a half to one turn on each limb and see if that helps.

I have never weighed any heads that were that far off from what they said they were. I have had a few 1 or 2 grns off, but normally they are very on. Some heads have a centering ring for small diameter arrows though that might up the weight some.

Even though the program shows them a bit weak at 100, they are in the yellow and I bet they would still work for you.

Paul

Quick Reply: What weight point should I use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.