Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can you figure my IBO speed for me?

Old 06-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Default RE: Can you figure my IBO speed for me?

I'm actually finding it hard to belive you are shooting a 342 grn arrow at 242 FPS with 26 inches of draw and 54 lbs of draw weight. I think maybe the chrono was a bit off.

I have a bowtech Mighty Might that has an IBO speed of 322 fps. I also have a simular set up as you, 26 inches of draw and 52-54 lbs off draw weight. I don't see numbers like that and I have checked it with several weights and different chrono's.

I get 211 feet per second with the same set up as you but with a 406 grn arrow. My bow is 1 fps for every 3 grns of arrow weight. So my bow with a 342 grn arrow would go about 232 fps, that is 10 fps slower than what you stated. I have checked it with arrows about that weight and it was pretty close to that.

I also get 260 fps with 315 grn arrows and 60 lbs of draw weight. If I get 211 fps with 406 grn arrows, imagine what you get with the arrows you are shooting. I bet they are accurate and quiet though.

Also the chrono could have been right, but one of the measurements slightly off. Like your draw length or the draw weight. It is actually pretty hard to get an accurate reading off a bow scale, it takes some practice. And some are not calibrated that well either.

I wouldn't really worry about it though.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 06-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Ok, I just found a review of your bow by Norb Mullaney. His reviews are excellent because he lists a ton of technical specs on the bows. So I got your SE/PDF_Ratio, virtual mass and bow efficiency as he tested it. (50 and 60 lbs with 30 inches of draw). I threw those numbers into a calculator on bowjackson and this is what it gave me.

26 inch draw at 54 lbs with a 342 grn arrow is 241 fps. That is in line with what you stated.

So IBO on that bow would be around 295-300 fps.

The best it shows you getting with the bow you have would be around 266 fps. That is with a 300 grn arrow, 60 lbs of draw and 26 inches of draw length. I think because of your shorter draw length you could actually go with a bit lighter arrows if you wanted though. According to the AMO minimum arrow weight chart you could shoot 260 grn arrows out of your set up (at 60 lbs). That would put you at 279 fps.

The way you have it right now it shows you shooting 208 fps with the heavy arrows.

I figured that with about 10 grns of added weight to your string. Since you have a red dot I figured you didn't use a kisser button or peep site.

If those are accurate numbers that is pretty impressive. I like my Crow with gravy and pepper. I'd be curious to see what it chronoes at with the heavy arrows if you ever get the chance.

Keep in mind the number crunching thing is not always accurate. The only way to really know is try it and see.

What ever it is you have plenty to kill deer for sure. Personally I would stick with the heavier arrows, maybe drop to 400 grns if you wanted to. That is just personal preferance though.

Here is a link to the article black eagle review

Paul
Old 06-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

BUT. Thats the Stock Black Eagle. Mine is not a stock black eagle. The only thing Black Eagle is the riser. My limbs are Pro Eagle. But anyways...

I use a kisser button, string loop, and 4 string bats.

I would have chrono'd it the other day, but the Techno hunt thing was messed up and it wasn't working right. And their bow mounted chronos threads were stripped. I'll try it next time Im up there.

My bow goes up to 70 pounds. 50-70, so I think it would probably go higher than 266.

According to the AMO minimum arrow weight chart you could shoot 260 grn arrows out of your set up (at 60 lbs).
Thats only 4.3gpp. Do you mean 360?

Thanks everyone. I know its not exact, but it gave me a rough estimate.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:59 AM

I was assuming a 10 lb difference in weight like most other bows. I don't know much about onieda's other than they look odd and I don't like the way they draw. I tried one at cabela's once.

I went with the info I could find on the net, I didn't know you modified your bow. Sometimes that doesn't always make them faster though. Nor did I know what percentage of let off you use. Like I said the numbers game is not always that accurate. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

And no, I meant 260 grns. IBO weights are derrived from a bow that is set up with 30 inches of draw and 70 lbs of weight and nothing on the string. When you lower your weight or shorten the draw length you decrease the amount of energy your bow stores and the effeciency to a certain extent. And anything you add to your string is pretty much the same as adding arrow weight. So with a 26 inch draw length you decreased your stored energy enough that you could shoot a lighter arrow then 5 grn per pound. 260 is the minimum AMO weight for 26 inches and 60 lbs. And remember AMO uses heavier arrows than IBO does, so you could probably go even lighter.

Am I suggesting you use that light of an arrow, not at all. I'm just saying that the bow should be able to handle it with out doing damage to it. And if you tried to compete with it I would guess it would not be legal, they would most likely make you stick to the 5 grn/lb rule. Which is sort of lame since it puts you at a dissadvantage against guys with longer draws. I don't compete though so I don't have a clue how the IBO rules are.

Like I said, what you have sounds like a pretty good hunting set up to me. I might go a little lighter on the arrow if it were me, but not too low. I was just showing you what speeds would be with different arrows. And that may not be accurate because some bows are more effecient with heavier arrows, and some work better with light arrows for some reason. The calculator I used cannot account for that. From what I read, your bow favors heavy arrows instead of light ones.

I wouldn't trust the techno hunt speeds either. From what I have seen and heard they are not all that accurate. Some cheaper chronographs are not too accurate either from what I understand. I think for it to be accurate you need one made for arrows. The one at my local shop actually takes into account the length of the arrow. It might be an older model though?

Still, I never knew the oneidas were that effecient. Pretty good for a name I normally associate with silverware.

Paul