Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Replaced string causes sites to drop?

Old 06-23-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Replaced string causes sites to drop?

I'm gonna try to explain this to you guys, hopefully without itsounding confusing. I just had my local bow shop replace my string and cables due to it needing to be changed, of course. I ask the guy who changed it if I would have to resight my sights in and he said "Yea, probably". Well I took it out and I started with my 20 yard pin and it shot really low, so I had to end up moving my sights down almost a 1/2". Now my sights are bottomed out as low as they will go. I have the Trophy taker 4 pin sight. I'm on at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards, but is that normal to have to readjust your sights that much after having your string and cables replaced, or is it something I might be doing wrong. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 AM

Default RE: Replaced string causes sites to drop?

what happens a lot on a new string is the nocking point has moved,the peep sight is in a differant place,draw length is differant,each a small thing but together yes your sights are off. I usually leave the sight alone til the string is shot in then adjust all the above
Old 06-23-2005, 08:32 AM

Approx. how many shots do you consider until your string is shot in?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your nock hight needs adjusted. Try a bareshaft to zero your nock height back to the correct setting. This should correct your problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could your string have been made of different materials, a slower material?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:53 AM

If you measure everything before you change the string it should be pretty darn close. Howeve like said above, nocking point and peep location will effect that. You should really retune your bow after changing the string and cables.

I agree though, sounds like your nocking point or peep is off, maybe both. That should have been checked and adjusted before you left the shop in my opinion.

Paul
Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM

Gotcha, thanks for all of ya'lls help. I will defintely retune and recheck everything.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should really shoot at least 50 rounds with a new string before making any tuning changes and 100 would be even better. After those breakin rounds then retune everything and you will be good to go and save alot of frustrating tinkering.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paul Mohr and Terry M has hit the nail right on the head , First before you mess with anything you need to settle in your new cable's and string. After that you can finally set up your peep and knock point ,a simple up and down on both ,but only one at a time first peep and then knock point or visa versa .I hope this help's.I'm sure this sound's to me like it's your peep thatisn't in the correct spot.,try adjusting it down a bit and shoot at a 10 to 20 yrd range to see where it's hitting try to get your 20yrd pin to where you like it to be ,if it's lower than you just shot then reverse this action and move it up .Get it close and then you can adjust your knock point just a little bit till you get your sight set where you want it .Good luck and let us know how your making out.

nubo
Old 06-23-2005, 09:54 PM

i see a lot when some shops intall loops they install them way high so you don't come back with fletching contact, then your peep is high, then you shoot low. at least that's what i see a lot.