Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Huge arrow drop expected?

Old 09-20-2002, 10:51 AM

Default Huge arrow drop expected?

I've been shooting light (~5gr/#) for 3d & after swapping over to a 'hunting' rig I can't believe the amount of arrow drop that is ocurring between 30 & 40 yards. It's amazing...

I'm shooting a BowTech Patriot, 27" draw, 442 gr arrow at 252FPS at aobut 65#. My arrows are Beman CarbonMetal Matrix with 4, 4" helical vanes which pass nicely over my Tropy Taker. I've tipped the sticks with Muzzy 100GR (light FOC but still testing...)

So - the pin gap from 20 to 30 is about 1/2 that from 30 to 40. Is this much drop expected?

The arrows group well out to 40 (so far - still testing...) and I'll probably NEVER shoot that far (never shot more than 19 yds) but I just found this interesting...

any input?

Aim small miss small
Old 09-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2002, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Huge arrow drop expected?

huntmup-

I am not trying to discredit what you are saying but your pin gap from 30-40 yards can't possibly be double what your 20-30 yard gap is. Typically the difference between the two will run around 15%.

What might be wrong is a severely nock low condition which can have some adverse affects on the trajectory. What happens in this scenario is the arrow leaves the bow at an artificially high angle of attack from level with regards to the sight line. After peaking out at max hight it will appear to fall faster because of the odd original lauch angle.

I have seen this scenario several times through the years after someone claimed the sight tapes didn't work with their bows. After they re-checked there tune it ALWAYS ended up being a nock low condition.

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>
Old 09-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been told that a 2 cam that is out of time can do the same thing.That would make sense,in essence you could be doing the same thing as the low nock condition.I havn't really got into tuning 2 cams that much(I have done a little) and have never experienced it first hand but it does seem logical.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:39 PM

TFOX-

You are absolutely correct sir, however the bow would have to be so far out of tune that it would actually be hard to hold back and you would have two distinct walls about 6" apart!

I have monkeyed with this phenomenon as well and although it can make a little difference in a sight tape, you would definately know your bow was WAAAAAAAAY out of tune.

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>
Old 09-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tony,you would be surprised at some of the things people will bring to me.I said I don't mess with 2 cams much but have had a few that people brought that were so far out of time that I couldn't hardly hold them back.Naturally the first thing I would do is time it in.I never have done any shooting like this.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:30 PM

Part of your problem could be your low FOC! Carbons react better to heavier FOC (12-18%). You may be loosing speed because the shaft is fighting with itself to straighten out! Carbons like and need to flex when shot. Too low of a FOC(light tip) won't let the carbon shafts flex properly and they act like an over spined shaft.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:56 PM

A heavy arrow from the same rig would drop exactly identical but at a lesser distance

Nic
Old 09-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

colobohl

That may be true for you and your setup but all carbons are different and the spine will change with each setup and arrow type.You can cheat a stiff arrow and put a heavy point and get the spine right for groups.Penetration may suffer as a result.You can also do the opposite,use a lighter spine arrow with a light point and it would do great indoor.The problem would also be penetration and it would hate wind.

My point is that some carbons need 9% for one person while needing to be 13% for someone else.Penetration is best in the 10%-12% range(IMO)as long as this will allow proper spine.

If some do as you state,12%-18% foc it may make the arrow to week in spine to shoot accurately out of their bow.I do like 12% for a carbon provided the spine will allow it.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:38 PM

TAP - I swear to you it's around 75% - The gap is not 2x but it's close. My nock point is actually a little hi rather than low - I don't know why but drop-aways have always seemed (to me) to need a higer nock point. I have no clearance issue (thank you dessenex) and the tear is just slightly tail hi left - but near a bullet hole off the bow, a bit more left at 15 feet, then a bullet hole again at 30 feet out to 30 yards.

I planned on getting Muzzy 145gr's if these 100s didn't work out - I still might get them just to do some testing but I've never had grouping this well with other setups.

One thing that may be of note is I checked my tiller & the distance from the limb pocket to the string on the top is 3/16 longer than the bottom - tiller out of adjustment causing issues?

Thanks for all the input.

Aim small miss small