Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the most reliable compound?

Old 09-20-2002, 06:36 AM

Default What is the most reliable compound?

I am just a deer hunter. Dont know much about bows. I have read many times on the bowhunting forum about relatively new and very expensive bows falling apart. Failures have occured on the string, cables,wheels, cams and limbs.

I have a 12 year old Martin cougar. I hunt hard, rain, sleet, snow, temps from 10 to 90 degrees. For 12 years I have never had a failure with my bow. And I have never replaced the cables the wheels or the limbs. I have only replaced the string during the off season.

If I were to spend alot of money on a new bow, would I get just as reliable a bow. Do todays bows last 12 years without having to replace all the parts? Even if it is free I dont want to have to keep going back and getting my bow fixed.

I do realize that I could get a much quieter smoother shooting faster bow and there have been great improvements in bows in 12 years. But if I purchased a new bow and it fell apart right away, I may get upset since my old bow has never had a problem.

Did I just get a lucky bow or can I expect 12 years out of a new bow with NO PROBLEMS?

Old 09-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is the most reliable compound?

Natty,

If you want the most rugged and reliable bow ever made, get an Accu-Riser.
It is built far stronger than it needs to be.
Its riser is very thick and massive, built to withstand flex, vibration, and abuse.
It has Barnsdale limbs that are rated over 200,000 psi
Its axles and bushings are guaranteed for life.
Only thing you will ever have to replace on it are string and cables.
It is a little on the heavy side though and only suitable as a hunting bow out of a tree stand. Too heavy for stalking.
It is one of very few bows left that still has a rugged anodized camo finish, unlike the the rather fragile dipped finish employed my almost all manufacturers today.
It's expensive at $950.00 per copy.
But it will easily last you the rest of your life and you can pass it down to your grandchildren!
The Red Man is another very rugged bow with Barnsdale limbs that will last for years.
The discontinued PSE Gorilla, Hoyt Super Star and Defiant, are also extremely rugged.
My newest Merlin bows, Super Nova and Max 2000 are very well made with fantastic specs.
They have the best limb pockets I've seen anywhere. Their cams axles and bushings are second to none.
The new Profusion limbs Merlin now uses are superb.
I have always like the Barnsdale limbs best but the Profusion limbs on my Max and Super Nova perform so well, they're beginning to become my favorite.
As I've always said, limbs are the most important component of any bow! The heart of the system.
JMO, but the best bow for the money found anywhere is the Max 2000.
It is built to last for many years also.

Sag.

http://www.merlin-bows.co.uk
http://www.bowmanbows.com

Old 09-20-2002, 06:54 PM

natty,

i just sold my martin cougar. it was a good bow but it was so slow compared to the new bows. i bought a bowtech mighty mite its super fast and light. it has a life time warrenty on everthing but the strings and cables.i have shot it well over a thousand times and nothing has gone wrong with it so far.i shoot great groups with it out to forty yards.i had a hard time shooting groups at 20 yards with my martian. all i can tell you is to try one if you like it buy it if not stick with the martian.good luck with your search, and good hunting.

tracey moore
Old 09-21-2002, 12:10 AM

I switched to CSS this year for just that reason. I had never seen one go back to the pro shop for anything other than normal maintenance such as strings and cabels. I shoot the system 1 and I dont think I will ever go to another brand it shoots great.
cebpa <><
Old 09-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Another vote for the Merlin line. Altho new to the USA, The Merlins are making a huge name for themselves here, and the new Hunter's Quest 35 is starting to get rave reviews from hunters and 3D'ers alike. The shorter ATA Hunter's Quest makes an excellent treestand bow, I use one myself. E-mail me anytime for more information, or go to www.merlin-bows.co.uk to see the full line. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Old 09-21-2002, 08:05 AM

Natty Bumpo

Stay with the "Martin" brand. I have two Martins, 1 is 10 years old, the other is 8 years old. Have never had ANY problems or failures.

There are three other Martin shooters in my group. The age of their bows are in the 8-year old range. Other than one shooter replacing some nylon bushings for a newer type bushing, neither shooter has ever had any problems with their bows.

I have shot several brands of C-bows in my time. PSE and Martin has served me well.

As for speed, the older style Martin Sonic wheel and their full cam bows crank on. Unless you want to try and break the sound barrier, those older Martin bows do the job, do it well, and are extremely reliable.

My old 1975 PSE Pacer at around 185-190 psi did the job and did it well, as it did for my brother. My old Pacer is still with me and still shoots.

Edited by - c903 on 09/21/2002 09:09:49
Old 09-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Pinwheel 12 makes a great recommendation in the Quest 35 for a hunting bow.
Since it's new and shorter than the long ata bows I'm used to shooting, I tend to overlook it.
But if one wanted a short ata bow for hunting, I believe the Quest 35 with the Profusion carbon limbs is the best available anywhere.

Sag.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:09 AM

I have to say ditto to C903.

I have two Martins at this time. One is 21 years old. I now only shoot it occasionally for fun. It's set up for fingers, which I seldom do now. However, it has had a lot of use and never gave me one problem. I now shoot a newer Martin - less than two years old, but has at least 25-30,000 shots on it without a single problem. Nowadays, I'm not too concerned with a bow lasting 20 years, because I'm likely to update whenever some significantly better technology hits the market. One thing I will say about Martin, is they give you a very solid bow for a very reasonable price. I think you would find the new Cougars to be very pleasant to shoot, and more durable than most hunters would ever need. That said, I think there are quite a few bows out there that will last just as long or longer. Maybe once every decade, you might have to replace the bushings or axles, but nothing significant. Strings and cables are normal wear and tear replacement items on every bow.