Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Convince me to shoot feathers

Old 05-25-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Convince me to shoot feathers

As I posted before, I was ready to switch to feathers when the shop pro talked me into trying Blazer vanes. I like the Blazers quite a bit, in fact better than any vane that I've shot.

But...... I feel like I might be missing the boat when it comes to accuracy, especially when shooting broadheads. Many of you on here have the personal preference of shooting feathers and I read it all, but can any of you convince me?

The shop pro admitted they were extremely accurate, but advised me not to use them on my upcoming boar hunt.

Any opinions??

Thanks, Kev
Old 05-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Convince me to shoot feathers

Best thing to do is fletch up 6 or so arrows and see for yourself.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want the most accurate, easiest to tune setup with fixed blades, and minimal worrys about contact, shoot feathers... if your happy with ur current arrow flight, why change?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Well, I am happy with my current set up, but things can always get better, right?

What I need convincing on is if they will stand up to the elements or not. I don't want the buck of a lifetime to stroll by and miss him because of wet and sloppy feathers.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Then get you some of that waterproofing for feathers.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Convince me to shoot feathers, Ok. Shoot feathers because I do. Im on the other side of the spectrum, I like feathers and have played with the idea of vanes. I have fletched a bunch of shafts with vanes and never liked them as much as feathers.

Truthfully, shot what ever works best for you. If it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:26 PM

I shoot 28" CX300's with Blazer vanes. I have had no problems with this arrow setup and the accuracy is great. You are shooting a drop away rest so I see no reason to change to feathers unless you are shooting a large fixed blade broadhead. I did not see what you are using in your sig. Are you having concerns with your broadhead grouping using Blazers? I love to tinker with my setup but sometimes that old saying is right, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."
Old 05-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

#1... Feathers do not flap in the wind like plastic vanes do when the arrow is flying..
#2... Feathers are a hundred times lighter than vanes which equates to more speed than vanes and also the rear of the shaft will stabilize faster because of the less weight.
#3... Feathers do not wrinkle up like vanes do. If you fuzz up feathers they will still provide you will all the control they always did.
#4... Feathers have hundreds of little wings that catch air and provide more control.
#5... Feathers fold out of the way if they should happen to hit something on their way to the target thus allowing the arrow to maintain its path better.
#6... They look a heck of a lot better than vanes do.

The only downside is that you do have to water proof them.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1... Feathers do not flap in the wind like plastic vanes do when the arrow is flying..
#2... Feathers are a hundred times lighter than vanes which equates to more speed than vanes and also the rear of the shaft will stabilize faster because of the less weight.
#3... Feathers do not wrinkle up like vanes do. If you fuzz up feathers they will still provide you will all the control they always did.
#4... Feathers have hundreds of little wings that catch air and provide more control.
#5... Feathers fold out of the way if they should happen to hit something on their way to the target thus allowing the arrow to maintain its path better.
#6... They look a heck of a lot better than vanes do.

The only downside is that you do have to water proof them.
#7... you can loose more than half of the fibers of a feather, yet it will still provide excellent control.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Best thing to do is fletch up 6 or so arrows and see for yourself.

Yep.

Quick Reply: Convince me to shoot feathers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.