Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Convince me to shoot feathers

Old 05-26-2005, 04:26 AM

Default RE: Convince me to shoot feathers

I don't care what anyone else shoots, but one would have a heck of time convincing me to hunt with vanes over feathers. There are many little reasons I prefer feathers, most of which have been mentioned, but the biggest reason is that it controls your broadhead better. What else is there? They can be soaking wet and it won't make any difference on your average hunting shot. They create more rear end drag, higher speeds and increase F.O.C. on your arrrow. The stuff you're worrying about isn't a factor when hunting in my opinion. I don't worry about what works better for practice with a field point or for shooting through basketballs with a judo point. I'm only concerned with what works best for hunting big game with fixed blade broadheads in dense Northeast forests - and that's feathers.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Straightarrow
I agree with you somewhat but for some of us on a fixed budget, we need an arrow set up I can use for everything. I have also been looking at feathers and yes broadhead flight is the most important but I want one set up: shooting broadheads and thru targets. I also question the durability. I will let you know what I think after Mainehunts buys some and lets me shoot them.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:41 AM

Straight arrow,
The only reason I mention the basketball is because I don't want to have to practice with vanes and then hunt with feathers. I want to set up all of my arrows the same, then use them for everything from 3-D, practice on targets, basketballs, groundhogs and hunting big game.

I'm going to fletch a few arrows and then abuse them just like my vanes. The Blazers have been shot through the basketball numerous times and still look new, not a wrinkle. If the Feathers can't take it, I'll stick with the Blazers.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

I like feathers better than vanes they are lighter and if they get a bad spot you can cut it off and it will still fly fine. I have it when vanes get those ripples in them.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess I'm going to fletch up a few and see how they work. I'm just concerned with the abuse they'll take. You know, shooting through the target,
That is one of the reasons I like feathers better. They take pass throughs (in a target) better than vanes. Vanes wrinkle when shot through, feathers usually dont get harmed. I know you can use a heat gun or hair dry to pull out some wrinkles with vanes, but I have never gotten them all out to my likeing.

Besides, a feather is Gods design for flight. Cant get a better product designer than that..
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Besides, a feather is Gods design for flight. Cant get a better product designer than that
Yep, don't see too many birds flying around with plastic wings do ya?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

some lattice work. (Don't ask )
???????
Did you get mad at a wall you were finishing.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

some lattice work. (Don't ask )
???????
Did you get mad at a wall you were finishing.
Naw, but I took a shot at a red squirrel on the ground by my bird feeder. The arrow skipped off the ground and went through the lattice.

Missed the darned squirrel[:@]
Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog

Put some bohnings on thinking they were 8 grains and they are 12. Duravanes are 8. I need 8 and was not getting the flight I wanted so I can't wait to change them and see.
Put the dura vanes on (4", 8grns.).Very accurate, and quiet. Heads and points work very well on this shaft. These are the shaft setup I will be shooting this year.

I've tried feathers and vanes of different configurations, these are the best for my setup. Do the same for yours. Try different ones I'm saying.