Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Convince me to shoot feathers

Old 05-25-2005, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Convince me to shoot feathers

Burnie,

Come on man, I was counting on you to push a little harder than that!

I guess I'm going to fletch up a few and see how they work. I'm just concerned with the abuse they'll take. You know, shooting through the target, that sort of thing. I have never had anyone say anything about how the feathers will hold up when it goes completely through something like the old basketball that we kick around and shoot with the judo points

Anyone care to comment on the physical abuse the feathers might get from me??

Thanks, Kev
Old 05-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

What big bulls said , plus they are more durable than vanes . You can clean them with soapy water and steam um , and they are good as new , a ripped vane and your arrow needs refletched , feathers dont rip , and with one cut in half you will still get good flight if your bow is tuned properly .
Old 05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well nothing is going to last too long if you keep shooting it through a basketball. But, feathers will last a heck of a lot longer than a vane will. I've shot them through worn out 3D targets and they come out just fine.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the same arrows, with feathers, for YEARS. They aren't a million times lighter than vanes; more like one-third the weight, which is great. All three feathers weigh as much as one vane.

And what everyone else said.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:02 PM

Bigbulls,
I had one arrow that I shot with a judo point for two months. Literally hundreds of shots, many through that basketball, one groundhog and some lattice work. (Don't ask[&:])

But the vanes that came on that arrow were in descent shape considering what it had been through. (No pun intended)

Are you saying the feathers would outlast it?? Seriously??

Because if so, I'm buying some feathers tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM

how do you water proof the feathers
Old 05-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Feathers do last longer because they fold down when they come in contact with just about anything. I've even found they help passthroughs versus vanes. Just make sure you put a double layer of glue on the front to keep it in place.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll just say that in all of my shooting feathers hold up much better than vanes do. They are especially great when shooting for groups. Where a vane will get a tear or hole through it the feather will just split apart and you just have to run your hand along the feather and it is good as new.

Granted if you shoot through and through stuff they will look ratty but they will still control an arrow just as good as they ever did.

I can't say how well they will hold up shooting at lattice.[8D]

You should definetly give them a try. I use to be a vanes only guy but at the advice of others here I tried feathers and will not look back. I did experiment with the blazers and quick spins last year and found that the feathers still far surpass even these "super" vanes.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot them both and they both have good and bad points. Feathers are lighter but lighter is not always what is needed to build a proper arrow. Feathers are loud and they do lose thier shape rather quickly; a kind of fraying. I will say this all vanes don't weight the same. Put some bohnings on thinking they were 8 grains and they are 12. Duravanes are 8. I need 8 and was not getting the flight I wanted so I can't wait to change them and see. Like the other guys said, build some and see.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 PM

I gotta agree with Aussie. Convince yourself, go fletch a few up and shoot to compare. My solution for weather this year will be to waterproof the feathers and carry one with Blazers. The weight will be very close and should still give good flight. I will only need that arrow in an emergency, but I think it solves that "buck (bull for me) of a lifetime scene." They do look great and fly beautifully.

JMAC

Quick Reply: Convince me to shoot feathers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.