Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

Old 05-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

That could lead to misinformation. The strenght is not ment to be in the transverse plane of the shaft but at the head. Reason for the whole cylinder design. Kinda like a coke can. It will support weight on its top and bottom, but not on its side. A better test would be to take cut offs at about an inch or less and try to compact them on their end instead of side.

All that said, sounds interesting though.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Burnie, that's a good point, but wouldn't the extra strength still be nice to have so long as it doesn't detract from the its linear strength? The extra strength could be useful when encountering a rib or shoulder blade from the side.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

The extra strength could be useful when encountering a rib or shoulder blade from the side.
Good point, I was over looking shear force, which that would give you a good indication of.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

The Radial Weaves are very tough, very consistent in regard to weight and spine. Mine fly like darts. I use the 200s for 3D, and 300s for hunting and indoor. I've had a few robinhooded. The arrow hitting the first usually goes in just a few inches. A guy got one of mine at Nelsonville, last summer. He drove my arrow through the target to the vanes, but his arrow was only about 3" into mine.
KBacon, I'm still shooting mine from last summer. Still fly great, and weight varies under 2 gr, arrow to arrow, in the dozen I have left (304.8-306.4 gr). That's completed weight.
pdq5oh ... that's more like it.

Didn't consider the shear force.. but my main point was that an arrow is like a drinking straw.. w/ enough force you can drive it through a 2x4... but you can squeeze it w/ your fingers. But I guess burniegoeasily explained it better than I could have.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kev, I shot the PSE Comp Pros before the Radial Weaves. Weight tolerances were not as good as the Radials. I also have some Extremes. These shot as well as my Pros, though weight tolerance was not as good. I don't remember the spread being 18 gr, though.

Ken, the Radial Weaves have been very good to me.