Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feathers-offset/helical/straight

Old 05-20-2005, 09:13 AM

Default feathers-offset/helical/straight

I have never shot feathers, only vanes for over twenty years.

I'm going to buy some feathers and a jig, what do you feather shooters recommend??
Old 05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: feathers-offset/helical/straight

The price of them will say a lot. I used to buy in bulk but found out I could buy them by the piece at the local shop. Cheap way to shoot many different ones and find the best.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

I plan on getting a jig and fletching my own. I am going to get Right Helical because they stabilze the arrow better than offset and straght but it is not necessary in most cases. I also have a Trophy Taker drop away rest.

If you have a drop away and or have trouble stabilizing broad heads go with the helical if not then you could use the others just fine. I like the Right helical better than the Left helical because when shooting at 3D targets your tips can spin loose with left helical.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been shooting 4 inch offset at 4 degrees. Im going to switch this year to 4 inch helical or quick spin vanes. I have never been much for vanes, but think I might try the quick spin. Im waiting for more info on them from my post in the bowhunting forum.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:26 PM

burnie,
Some on here will be ripped at me for posting this, but it's the truth.

Here it is, my shooting buddy has GT arrows spined the same as my arrows. I have shot his GT's (with regular 4" vanes) on several occasions and they group nice and tight at twenty yards for me.

Today after work we got together and shot again. This time I tried some of the same GT's that have been fletched with the Quick-spins. The best group I could get with them at 20 yards was about 4". AND those groups were 4-5 inches low at twenty yards. I'll never buy any.

Just my own honest experience.
Kev
Old 05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Mainehunt
Thanks for the info. I think Im going to go with a 4 inch helical. I have not been a fan of vanes (no real reason), so Ill stick with the horse that brought me. Good old turkey feathers work great for me. All my other bows, I use either a 4 or 6 degree offset with feathers and have not had any problems, other than the normal fixed head flying on me. Which is normal when finding heads that like arrows. Im going to try to fix that on or two flyer with more twist. I guess I got all summer to play with it, and it isnt like feather are expensive. I might start with chicken feathers first, and If I like it, Ill go to turkey.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:01 PM

burnie,
I went to the local shop on Saturday and talked feathers with the pro there. He talked me into trying some of those Blazer vanes. He was excited about them and his enthusiasm wore off on me. So.......................I had three of my Carbon Force Extremes with me at the time, so I had him re-fletch them with 4" wraps and 2" Blazers.

I absolutely love them! But I can't figure out why or how they work. Everyone says because they're so much taller, but they are only .05" taller than standard vanes.
(.50" -vs- .55") One twentieth of an inch isn't much. They do fly great though.

Today I went back and picked up a half dozen of the Radial X-Weave Predators with the Blazer vanes. I haven't had a chance to shoot those more than about 5 minutes in the rain though.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Interesting maine.

I live in the sticks so I have to order everything, which sucks because I dont get to see or try before I buy. I guess Ill just have to make the two hour drive to the shop to try some of this stuff out.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:20 PM

You may like the Blazers, many do. I drive 30 miles to the shop here. A friend and I are kicking around the idea of starting an archery shop because there isn't one closer.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I shot mainehunts arrows tonight w. blazers on them and I am impressed. My slicktricks hit perfect with them. The blazers are lighter, quieter, cheaper than my easton diamonds and work the same.

Quick Reply: feathers-offset/helical/straight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.