Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tubing cutter for aluminums?

Old 05-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tubing cutter for aluminums?

Don't hit me. [:@]

I know it's not the best way.
Certainly a high speed cut-off saw with a jig is best.

I did try the tubing cutter though( since it's cheap, and I already have one), and it seemed to do a decent job.
Just gotta go really slow and make very small adjustments to the cutting wheel's position between revolutions.
It cut pretty square without bending the shaft out of round, but I did end up with a burr.

Any body else use one of these?
Where can I find a deburring/chamferring tool to clean up the cut end?

Thanks.
-Bulz
Old 05-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tubing cutter for aluminums?

I have used one before. Sometimes you just need those arrows cut NOW
The cutter that I had, came with a fold out chamfer tool. I have also used a chamfer tool used in reloading.

Edited to add
Even though I (and others) have pulled this off and it can be made to work. I don't recommend it to others out there to try. It is a pain.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:37 PM

I use a tubing cutter for all of my aluminum arrows. HOwever, I got one of the little kits that has the rod that goes down into the arrow to prevent warping the arrow out of round. It has an insert rod for most sizes.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you do use a tubing cutter... and I don't recommend it even though I've done it too.... make sure the cutting wheel is in good shape and go easy with it. Take small bites on each pass and don't try to get the shaft cut in two or three spins. Remember you're cutting arrows, not plumbin' pipes. Using the kind with the mandrel, like Allen Read uses, is the better way to go. Still not great, but better.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was able to clean up the end a bit with a file.
Geeze, I sound like a barbarian. Wouldn't be the first time I was accused.

Do you still need to use a tool for clean up when you use a cutoff saw?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulzeye, If you use a tubing cutter, make sure the insert in the arrow when you cut. I had to do this a few years ago when I broke the blade on my high speed cutter. This will help keep the arrow round with little distortion.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:53 PM

A tubing cutter will cut the aluminium shafts nice and even and do a fine job if the shaft is supported by an insert.

The same technique can also be used when cutting the woven carbon arrows. Just make sure the cut does not go past the point where the insert is supporting the shaft and take your time tightening the cutter.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Geeze, I sound like a barbarian.
Nah. Barbarians use hacksaws.

On the other hand... Iff'n yew use a pipe cutter to trim yore arrers to langth, yew might be a redneck.[8D]
Old 05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redneck it is! (Actually that's only my cover, but I guess I'm doing a decent job of acting)

I like the concept of supporting the shaft with an insert, but here's a silly question.

If I'm cutting 3" off the end of an arrow, how do I get an insert into the arrow that far?
Or do you not mean an arrow insert, just a rod of the right diameter? Does that make an sense? [&:]
Old 05-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

...just a rod of the right diameter?
That's what we're talking about. It'll be kinda hard to find one just the right size though, unless you buy that kit that AllenRead is talking about.

Quick Reply: Tubing cutter for aluminums?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.