Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tubing cutter for aluminums?

Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Tubing cutter for aluminums?

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

Redneck it is! (Actually that's only my cover, but I guess I'm doing a decent job of acting)

I like the concept of supporting the shaft with an insert, but here's a silly question.

If I'm cutting 3" off the end of an arrow, how do I get an insert into the arrow that far?
Or do you not mean an arrow insert, just a rod of the right diameter? Does that make an sense? [&:]
Bulzeye,

How about making three 1" cuts so the arrow is supported for each cut?

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys know you can get a mini cut off saw from Harbor Freight for around $25? I have one and it is great. I still use the Apple saw at the club I belong to when I can but when I don't have time the Harbor Freight saw works wonderful and is cheap. You can learn more on here about this saw by searching for "Harbor Freight" and also by running a search on Archerytalk.com for the same thing. People have made some really great jigs for these saws that work as well as any Apple saw for way under $50.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Insert is probably not the right word to use to describe the kit pieces.

The back up pieces are short sections of rod that are close to the inside diameter of the arrow. The kit comes with several of these. This piece of rod is drilled and tapped on one end. A longer, thinner rod that is about 6" long screws into this. Then there is an adjustable collar that controls the depth.

To use the kit, you select the back up piece that fits your arrow, screw it onto the longer rod, and adjust the depth.

The short piece that is the same size as the inside diameter of your arrow provides support for the pipe cutting tool. This prevents your arrows from being bent out of round.

This kit is actually more expensive than the Harbor Freight mini saw. However, the mini saw works better if you build a special base for it.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue too much.
Allen
Old 05-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

This kit is actually more expensive than the Harbor Freight mini saw. However, the mini saw works better if you build a special base for it.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue too much.
Allen
The base I use consists of one piece of Angle Iron, another piece of steel, and 2x generic brand name vise grip pliers and it works great. I think I have $30 total into mine. Here is a pic.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, I didn't realize you could get the saw so cheap.

I get the insert thing now.
I'm not interested in buying the kit though.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the mini cut off saw from harbor freight as well and yes it works great.

Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307
Old 05-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

You guys might think I'm nuts but I use a chop saw, a 10" circular mitre saw. We use it to cut copper & aluminum pipes & gutter for work & one day I had a dozen shafts I was getting cut after work & a little light bulb lit up in my head (sometimes this is dangerous) & I decided if it cuts pipe it should cut arrows ok. Squared the blade up nicely & went slow & it works like a dream. Dont try it with a rough cut carbide blade, we use a metal cutting blade with 4 or 5 carbide teeth per inch. A wood blade works well too, as long as its not real aggresive. Just go slowly & let the saw cut. Havent been to the bowshop to cut arrows since that day.
I suppose I might try carbon someday, dont think this would work well with them.