Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Penatration issue with the Black Knight2

Old 05-15-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Penatration issue with the Black Knight2

Howdy all, I'm abit new to all this high tech stuff and Ihave searched everywhere for answers and keep coming up blank.
I am shooting a 2002 Bowtech Black Knight2 with thunderhead 100gr 3 blade broadheads.
My arrows weigh 10.6 grains an in. This past season i shot two deer one buck one doe neither shot had past thru the shot on the buck lodged in his spine between his shoulders at about 10 yards it did get enough penetration to kill him efficiately by striking the vitals but did not pass thru. The doe was hit in the left shoulder at about 25 yards (missjudged her walking speed). The arrow broke after blowing thru that shoulder and lodged between the two shoulders and knocked her down. Is there something im missing on this or shouldnt these arrows blast thru these small florida whitetails? This year im changing arrows to goldtip ultralight pro 300.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:54 PM

Default RE: Penatration issue with the Black Knight2

Well I don't think its a problem with your arrow choice or bow choice. I think its just a matter that you hit bone on both animals. Most of the time when you hit shoulder, your not going to get a passthrough. If you hit an animal in the vitals and miss bone, you will get a passthrough with a low poundage recurve and most definately with a BK2.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going to a lighter arrow will only make things worse, if you hit bone.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 AM

As mentioned above its not your bow setup, it sounds like a shot placement problem. as you said in your post you misjudged the does walking speed, don't shoot at moving deer. Also mentioned above if you hit the vital area with out hitting the shoulder you with more than likely get a pass thru.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

It wasn't because of the arrows.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah the shots you took was only asking for trouble.

The BK has plenty of juice to blow through any deer IF your shot placement is right.

My BK 60lb 28" draw lenght and a 410gr AC Superslim with a 100gr Muzzy 3blade killed 3 pigs with the one shot .

Did not get a complete pass through on the 3rd pig but the broad head was one side and my fletchings 1/2 burried, not too bad seeing all 3 pigs where around the 145lb.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree it's shot placement that's your demon here ,the BK has plenty of juice to do the job,but it doesn't matter what bow your shooting bone will stop any arrow your shooting .

nubo
Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 PM

ok guys i guess the trouble im having is i watch a friend shoot at a buck only to have a doe move in his way, he nailed the doe right square in the hips. he was shooting a golden eagle iron eagle set in at 70# full length goldtip hunter arrows. the most amazing thing about this was he got a complete pass thru on both hips droping the doe and missing the buck. i am wondering way he got a pass thru on two hips and i couldnt on a shoulder shot? Just curious on this. and thatnks for all your posts, guys