Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

wax

Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Default wax

what does wax actually do for your string? thanks for all....................mitch
Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wax

Keeps it from drying out, and breaking.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It also keeps water out.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

It lubricates the string fibers so that when you draw and release they can move more freely against each other. This helps to prevent wear of the fibers/string. To get the wax down into the fibers, it is a good idea to use a piece of chamois, thin leather or cloth to rub the wax into the string with quick strokes in order to heat the wax a little so it penetrates past the outside layer.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't use the leather to burnish the wax into the string, the wax will 'booger up' and flake off and you'll wind up using more wax than you really need. If you try to rub it in with your bare fingers, you'll never be able to get the wax warm enough to flow into the string like it should.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also relax the bow in a press a bit, this allows the string to decrease in stiffness. Then using a piece of leather, I work the wax thru the strands of the string.
Remove the bow from the press and wipe the string with a cotton cloth to remove any excess wax.
I was introduced to this method by a 'expert' in string making and my cables and string looks fine year round.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 AM

Don't forget to use a good quality wax like the Dalton or BCY brands, the flex tite stuff is junk.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

...the flex tite stuff is junk
No foolin'? Good thing I use TEX-tite then. Guess it's what you're used to and what you like. I like the way Tex-Tite sticks to the string and doesn't have to be redone more than once or twice a month. It's stickiness also makes it a fair wax for string making, though it would be better for that if it were even stickier. The really soft waxes don't appeal to me because they dry out too quick. I did like Black Lightning for use on my string loops though. It's really slick stuff with that graphite and silicone mixed in, and it didn't gum up on my release jaws like Tex-Tite does.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best wax I have found is is made by Dalton Archery and doesn't need to be rubbed in with leather.It is very slick and will penetrate deep into the string WITHOUT BUILDING UP and most wax will build up and actually cause inconsistancies and affect accuracy.This wax is also unscented so can be used in the field if need be.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wax my string about twice a year and my string builder says that is too much.(my strings last longer than I usually keep my bows,2-3 years)He is also a world class tuner and has done extensive test on the effects of wax on accuracy and on a target bow too much wax is definately a detriment to accuracy at extreme distances.

On a hunting bow that is introduced to bad conditions over and over, wax is very important in keeping the string conditioned so it won't frey and become weak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.