Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

How Long for a Deer Head?

Old 10-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How Long for a Deer Head?

I got my buck early this year and the taxidermist sent the hide to be tanned last week. Will I be getting the head back early this year or will it be Summer like usual? I know it all depends on the taxidermist's workload, humidity,etc....Just looking for a guess. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How Long for a Deer Head?

There's just no way to say. The tannery could take from 2 weeks to 4 months. It just depends on thier backlog. And it also depends on the taxidermists backlog. He's the only one that could tell you.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a bear here in NJ last year 12-13-04, the taxidermist skinned it the next day. Sometime in January 2004, he sent it to the tannery, he got it back either late July or early August. he said he will call me when its time to decided what type of full body mount I want, and he also told me at the time of skinning the bear, that it will take time before I get my mount back. The tannery can be busy, customers that brought in there kill before me, etc. So I feel sometime either late this year or better yet after the new year.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

That's good to know. I was about the ask the same question. I just got my first bow killed deer and it's a buck so I am planning to have it mounted. I just shot it on Saturday in Montgomery County. The butcher has it and the taxidermist should be getting it sometime in the next 2 weeks. I was assuming to get the head back within six months. But it looks like I shouldn't hold my breath.