Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any advice would be much appreciated

First of all, I am not trying to advertise, just to get some advice.

I have been doing euro mounts for about 4 years now for myself, family and friends. Now that I have done quite a few (30ish), I am seriously thinking about advertising (nothing major costwise, maybe an ad in the classifies, craigslist, word of mouth, fliar at the feed store type of thing) and charging people next year. I called around to some of the taxidermy places in the area and prices range from $150-$225 for euro mounts. Even though, I believe, my work is just as good, I think I would have a hard time trying to compete with the pro's if I make my prices to high. I was thinking $100-$125 depending on the plaque they wanted.
Any opinions, questions, advise orinput would be appreciated
Thanks
Joe
Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any advice would be much appreciated

Around a $100 or so is reasonable. Depends how much people are willing to pay. Some areas people will pay the 150 some areas people will only pay 75 most of the time. By what others are getting Id say your good. Also depends on what you want to get out of it. If you enjoy doing it and like doing alot of them price lower and take in more. If you want less to do and make the same money price a bit higher. Also a thing to consider is build a client base and free advertising. Starting out lower around 75 (basically giving people a deal compaired to other taxis around you will get your product out there faster by people talknig about it to everyone they know and this and that. Then slowly raise your prices each year to match what you wanna make vs take in and acount for the growing client base. If you can do less for the same money thats always a plus..... I dont know TX regulations but in WI we need to have a state sellers permit and be a licensed taxi to recive anymore money than cost for our taxi work. WCL
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now here's my question... Why on God's green earth would you want to work for less? If your work is as good as the others in your area, why wouldn't you want the same money? I have a guy do them for me and I mark his price up almost double. I pick up the finished product and make money. If you start low, you will have a hard time going up without loosing business, been there done that. I can see being slightly lower but don't sell yourself short. Building a client base is a farse, espacially in taxidermy, where the average hunter gets 1-2 deer mounted in a lifetime. Do good work, charge a good wage and live good.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 PM

you wouldnt go and work a 8 hour for half the money. so dont cut yourself short get the going rate and word of mouth will get you more work
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the info. I think the $100 base fee will work with extra depending on what plaque they want. Since I don't do the woodwork for the plaques, i would just charge depending on if they wanted a simple stained board (maybe $10) up to the van dykes type of plaque that holds the skull at the angle and consist of several peices of wood ($35) and just tack that on to the base fee. any other advice is welcome
thanks