Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermy classes in Illinois

Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Taxidermy classes in Illinois

I have been wanting to get into taxidermy and would like to know where there are classes offered in the state of Illinois? Also if an individual would offer lessons I would be up for that as well.

For the Taxidermist...How did you go about getting into Taxidermy and learning the art? Did you take classes or learn from an individual? Thanks for the help you can provide.

Jason
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy classes in Illinois

If you have zero experience and want to learn the basics in a classroom versus a video, then you would have to look at attending a mulitple week/month class. I don't there are any in Illinois, but Wisconsin and Iowa have a couple.

My advice would be to learn the basics through taxidermy videos and books. Mount a few deer on your own. Get your hands on as much taxidermy material as possible. Then when ready to take your skills to the next level, seek a one on one training. I would contact Todd Smith in Pike County, IL. His work is top notch and is a wonderful trainer. I'm not sure if he is offering lessons anymore or not, but it would be worth a call. I know during deer season through spring his is busy putting in 70 hours/week mounting deer...because we all know how the deer are in Pike County. His name is Todd Smith, and is business name is Smith Taxidermy. He is located in Pittsfield, IL.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 AM

I am willing to teach you the art of taxidermy. I am located in Illinois and will work with you on your schedule. I have been doing taxidermy professionally for several years. Call me at 309-224-2853 and we can discuss details and cost. thanks Brett
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I would contact Bruce Owens in the St Louis area. Fantastic taxidermist and a nice guy. Here is a link to his website:
http://www.missouritaxidermyschool.com/