Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bear Claws?

Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Bear Claws?

I have a ziploc bag full of 20 bear claws that i tried to dry out using borax. I thought this was supposed to preserve the claws, but after a few months they still stink. I also heard that salt wasn't good for them, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bear Claws?

Borax isnt a preservative, its more of a "bug Proofer" than anything, if they are in a zip lock bag they will not dry and if all the meat and fat isnt all off it will rot and stink. You can get a preservative powder throughany taxidermy supply comany, salt will pull out all the bacteria and moisture on your hides, should do thesame on those claws. Bears are really greasy animals so maybe try cleaning then in some cold water anddawn dish soap.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Borax isnt a preservative, its more of a "bug Proofer" than anything
Huh? Borax has been used for preserving animal parts for years and years. It also has some ability to repel bugs, but that is not why it's used. Salt will pull out moisture, and make a stinky mess. If there is any tissue on or in the claws, you need to get rid of it. I would guess they still have tissue inside and it has to come out. Then apply borax and lay out to dry.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that Borax has been used for years, but as Tumabuck stated, it is not a preservative. It does aid in drying and helps keep bugs out though. I also agree that the claws should be as clean as possible, with all meat and fat off of them, then put in Borax and left out in the air to dry.Anything left in a closed zip-loc bag will retain moisture, and rot. The claws will not dry up unless they are left out where they can get air to them.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 PM
jeu
Spike

Default preserving bear claws

I have some bear claws and don't know how to preserve them. I tried to remove some of the tissue around the claws and the bone inside of the claw came out and now I left with the hollow claws. Is that mean the claws is pretty much garbage now? Do I need to filled the hollow claws with some thing to protect it from cracking?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try filling them with Apoxie Sculpt. It should work.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:03 PM
jeu
Spike

Default preserving bear claws

I still have one with the bone or tissue inside of claw, should I just leave it in there or remove it? I was thinking to cap the open end with silver to make it into a pendant.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeu
I still have one with the bone or tissue inside of claw, should I just leave it in there or remove it? I was thinking to cap the open end with silver to make it into a pendant.
I would remove all of the tissue. The silver thing sounds like a pretty neat idea.