Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

tanned goods...

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default tanned goods...

so, this season i finally sent some critters to be tanned...should be back within the next few weeks..so im pretty excited.

i sent out a full deer hide(half legs, tail and cut off just below the head...never liked the deerhides with the head done for some reason..just me..) both were sent out case skinned

2 30+"(nose to base of tail) coon pelts..both about identical size and both real nice...couldnt decide what one to have tanned so i sent them both lol...

and i sent out a beautiful large sized red fox with full feet...i split that pelt except for the head and neck..i had a buddy skin it for me...hes better than myself, and i wanted the feet left in so he showed me how to do that...but he case skinned and, but instead of pulling the front legs out, he slit them and left the body cased...we just werent thinking while we were doing it...so its now split down the belly upto the neck...

now..im looking for ideas on what to do with the pelts and deer hide. i got a shelf on the wall i can hang the 3 pelts from...and figure i can use the deer hide on the dresser or something...just looking for some creative ideas..or regular ideas that i might not know of...lets see some pics if you got any...

would love to spread the fox pelt out and tack it to the wall and do the same with the deer hide, but really, i dont know that i have the wall space till whenever i move out of my parents house down the road...

really looking for ideas for the deer hide..its a small button buck hide...but dont know what to do with it...it was my first flintlock kill and i always wanted a tanned deer hide..figured it was a good one to have done...

thanx for any idea/pics....