Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

mounting panels

Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default mounting panels

i need some help from you taxi's or anyone that has a buck mounted on a panel...

im trying to order a custom panel for my mount, but dont know what size i need...mount is a mckenzie semi sneak offset shoulder...

i can order 19x24, 16x20, 11x14, or 9x12. obviously i want one that will be seen..its an arrowhead design..figure a 3-4 maybe more inches showing around it...was just going to order the 19x24 but that might be overkill..i dont want it taking away from the mount and being overly huge...

what size panels do you guys mount yor whitetails on typically?? thanx alot
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mounting panels

I would suggest going with the 19 x 24.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser........honestly I see VERY VERY few shoulder mounts on plaques. I could be wrong but I think the old plaque thing came from the days of "neck" mounts in order to add a little more substance to the entire mount.

I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen a shoulder mount put on a plaque of anykind?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

matt, ive kinda noticed the same thing.

Rob/pa posted a pic of one of his on an arrowhead style plauqe and i really liked it..my buddy has his daughters buck mounted on a BIG panel...the buck is on top..and the panel design comes down another foot or 2 and he had all 4 feet turned into gun holders (2 rifles can be held by it..) and behind the rifles is a nice mirror...really neat mount..

i think since it was my first bow kill, it would look nice on an arrowhead plaque and i want to put the bloody arrow and head on the plaque...if it looks crappy, no big deal...im out 35$ and can pop the screws out of the back and turn the plaque into something else...like a picture frame and bloody arrow holder on its own...

im the kinda guy that gotta have something different...but if it dont look good, it dont look good and will come off...not like i will FORGET i killed him with a bow!

boy, them old neck mounts....taxidermy definently came a long way now....my full offset shoulder is going to look huge compared to a neck mount!

gotta call the taxi here soon and see when he expects he might get it done...would like to go see the manikan before he mounts it up incase i want it modified some...(he messed up and told me he LOVEEEEES to modify manikans ) and want to drop off the plauqe right about that same time...i dont want it sitting at my house for months and i know he dont want it sitting at his either lol...and i wanna see them antlers! been 4 months now! with the moving and remodling and everything with the move and new house, i figured they were safer at his place...actually made a special trip with antlers, mounts, turkey fans etc...hard to move with turkey and grouse fans...i need to fix them all up...
Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

He didn't mess up when he told you he loves to modify forms. He can see alot of extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for those modifications.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

trophy time, hes not after my money...im a return customer and weve been fishing and i helped him track a buck last year...he already cuts me breaks....and, i wouldnt MIND paying more for him to modify the form...but highly doubt he even brings up changing the price. a fish i took to him had a way large head for its body...he didnt even ask what i wanted to do...i would never known if he just used the standard head...he went ahead and custom molded a head for it..

but, i do know he is trying to run a business...and he does great work. i wouldnt mind if he wanted to charge me...im the one that wants something different and would be the one asking him to do the work. pretty sure we found the form i was looking for and it wont need modified..really wont be surprised if he has to modify it to fit the cape anyways...1.5yo early season buck ordering a new form that didnt have a ton of different sizes yet...ive seen him make forms larger and smaller all the time...when i was dropping it off he showed me a full body fox he pretty much cut in half and made a couple inches smaller to fit the customers fox...